Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a quick question concerning the boot loader (currently GRUB) that I have on my system. It is dual booting RedHat 9 and WinXP. At one point I upgraded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Boot Loader

I have a quick question concerning the boot loader (currently GRUB) that I have on my system. It is dual booting RedHat 9 and WinXP. At one point I upgraded the kernel, so it now lists the old kernel, new kernel and DOS. How can I get rid of the old kernel listing?

And another question. From what I can gather, Grub isnt the best boot loader out there. Is there a chance that I can switch?

Linux Guru
    to remove the old listing, edit /etc/grub.conf, it should just be a case of commenting stuff out. If you need help, post the whole file and i will do the mod's for you. (try and do it yourself first).

I've never seen anyone switch from grub to lilo before, nor done it myself, so i can't really answer that one im afraid.

Jason

inside that grub.conf you can also rename what it calls the different os. like on mine i ahve it call the dos one Windows XP jst cause thats the way i want it to be.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    Alright, thanks guys. I will try and get over there to see if I can fix that.

I just bought Madden 2004, so its really affecting the time that I put in Linux lately

Linux Newbie
    Well I am over in RedHat, but I cant get this to open. It says I dont have permission. When I logged in I had to give my password, so now I have the key in the corner, and when I double click it it says I have authorization for the system or something. But, how do I get permission to open that file?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
    Well I am over in RedHat, but I cant get this to open. It says I dont have permission. When I logged in I had to give my password, so now I have the key in the corner, and when I double click it it says I have authorization for the system or something. But, how do I get permission to open that file?
    you mean grub.conf?

open a terminal, "su", then use an editor like vi, vim, pico or emacs to edit the file.

Jason

Linux Newbie
    Alright. I tried opening it up with emacs but nothing happened. I dont see the other editors that you listed anywhere in there. If you could be so kind as to give me step by step instructions, I would greatly appreciate it

Linux User
    After you su to root and provide the root password, run the following:
    Code:
    vim /etc/grub.conf
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, that brought it up just fine. Although, it wouldnt let me delete or add anything. Right now I have some other things going on so I cant go and mess with it. But I will later and see what I can come up with

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If you look at the cmd line tutorial in the reference/tutorial section it has the basic cmd's for vi and emacs. Just look in the Reference/tutorial forum here.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast