Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i just installed RH9 on my primary master. i got win98 on secondary master. however i can't seem to boot win98 and get an invalid system disk. in my lilo.conf ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

dual boot with different drives

i just installed RH9 on my primary master. i got win98 on secondary master. however i can't seem to boot win98 and get an invalid system disk. in my lilo.conf file it's set like this:

others=/dev/hdc1
    optional
    label=win98

there are no other partitions on this drive for windows. anyone care to help me out? i'm still a newbie in linux...

Linux Guru
    I don't think that Win98 can boot from the secondary master, and I don't think that LILO is up to the task of correcting it, like GRUB is.
    To see if I'm right, go to my homepage (see bottom of post for a link), download the GRUB boot disk image and write it to a floppy with discardable contents using "cat grub.img >/dev/fd0". Then boot from that disk and run these GRUB commands:
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd2,0)
    map (hd0) (hd2)
    map (hd2) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    boot
    See if that manages to boot WIn98.

Linux User
    so i've heard this "can't boot as secondary" before, but it was kinda vague. so i didn't believe it. how come windoze can't boot as secondary?
    so that's why! damn!

unfortunately, i have yet to have my board changed coz it's kinda defective when it comes to floppy drives. it identifies the floppy drive but can't read what's in the floppy. i have had 3 working, good floppy drives and all don't work when i use it with my mobo! so i installed using CD.

is there another way around this without the floppy thingy?

Linux User
    oh, another thing, i've read that RH9 doesn't support mp3s. if i make a simple player using java, it would play right? do you know of a site that has a free mp3 player made in java? mine sucks really! hehehe...

Linux Guru
    You can go to http://staff.xmms.org/priv/redhat8/ and download the MP3 plugin for RH. RH9 ships without MP3 support for legal reasons, but adding it yourself isn't a problem (it might be a legal problem, but noone cares anyway). The page says RH8, but it reportedly works on 9 as well.

Anyway, Winbloze can't boot from any disk except the primary master, simply because it sucks. It really is as simple as that. The bootloader code is hardcoded to use the first drive.

To work around your failing floppy drives, there are some options available for you. You could either install GRUB instead of LILO, which I think that you should do anyway, since GRUB is better than LILO. Andutt will not agree with me here, but it is still a mystery to my why he doesn't. Admittedly, there are a few (very few) situations where LILO can handle some things that GRUB cannot, but in the vast majority of cases, GRUB solves a lot more problems than LILO. Since you're running RH9, the only thing that you should have to do to replace LILO with GRUB is to run "grub-install /dev/hda". If you do, just press C at GRUB's boot menu screen, and it will take you to the command prompt, where you can enter the previously mentioned commands.

Linux User
    ok, considering i have changed my bootloader from LILO to Grub. then i have set my win as primary, and linux as secondary. now what? i think i have to install grub in the MBR of the primary disk, right? how do i do this?

thanks for that MP3 plugin man!

Just Joined!
    Did you physically change your disks? The idea was that Grub can trick windows into thinking it's a primary master, meaning you didn't need to change your disks.

If you've moved windows to be primary master, you can probably stick to lilo, although you'll need to add it to the MBR of the primary master. I'd make the switch to Grub anyways - it's a better boot loader IMHO.

Linux Guru
    Indeed, you didn't have to change the position of your disks, unless you had another reason for doing so. Changing them back would (probably) be the easiest way for now.

Linux User
    i physically changed it. i didn't know grub could "trick" windows into thinking that it's primary. ok. i'll switch it back. and the rest, i'll assume, will be handled by grub. grub is in my /boot folder right?

Linux Guru
    GRUB's boot sector code (the stage 1 code) will be in the boot sector, but there is usually a master copy in /boot/grub. The stage 2 code is usually in /boot/grub, as well. Neither of these have to have a specified path, though. It's just that it's easiest to install that way, since the automated installation commands act on the files being in /boot/grub.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast