Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have a 80 GB drive running windows mce 2004, and I am about to ad a second 40 GB drive to run linux. do i have to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux/Windows, 2 Drives ?

I currently have a 80 GB drive running windows mce 2004, and I am about to ad a second 40 GB drive to run linux. do i have to set the master/slave options? also, this is going to come up with a option during the intial boot every time asking me which to boot right? sorry, i have never done this before. just installed linux, installed windows. so, won't have problems with the actual install, just want to make sure before i **** something up. lol

Yes you will need to make the new drive the slave.
    Depending on the type of drive, you may have to set the jumpers on the windows drive to Master or Master with Slave(if it is there)

When you install Linux, make sure you are installing to hdbx.
    When you get to the bootloader, put Grub or Lilo on the MBR.
    Make sure that it gives you the option to boot Windows as well, Most distros will do this automatically.
    Don't worry about messing up the MBR by puting Linux on it, if your bootloader gets messed up and you can't boot Windows, just put your Windows cd in and you can use it to FIXMBR.

Have fun with Linux.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    just wanted to say that when having multilbe drives on an ide channel they have to be set as master/slave or cable select. or all ur drives might not show up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok thanks for all your help!

i have been looking for a good forum to become apart of, and i think just found it.