Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have three ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboards with AMD 64. They all work fine. I bought two more with the intention of installing AMD Sempron 3100+ because this 64 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Did I buy 2 identical bad motherboards?! (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe)

I have three ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboards with AMD 64. They all work fine.

I bought two more with the intention of installing AMD Sempron 3100+ because this 64 bit stuff is still sort of new and I thought the 32 bit software might be more stable.

It got to the point where I actually pulled the processor out of one of my good machines and put the new Sempron in it and it reported that I had changed the processor after a normal report from the bios.

Again, these new boards are identiical to my three others! Two of them! they don't even beep!

Does anybody know the absolute least you need to do to determine that a motherboard is not working?

Shouldn't I be able to plug a power supply and video card into a brand new motherboard, plug in the speaker connection and the power button, turn it on and have the thing beep like crazy because it has determined there is no RAM, CPU, or Video Monitor?

Both these new ones one will turn on the CPU Fan if I do this, but the CPU never starts or even gets warm at all. The Fan won't start if there is no video board and I've tried two different video boards with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Did I buy 2 identical bad motherboards?! (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe)

Quote Originally Posted by subcreations
    I bought two more with the intention of installing AMD Sempron 3100+ because this 64 bit stuff is still sort of new and I thought the 32 bit software might be more stable.
    The AMD64 CPU will run 32-bit code natively. No need to get the cheaper CPU just to have 32-bit. Also, Linux has been running 64-bit for a few years now, so most distributions (and their associated packages) run completely stable. I've not had anything crash on me yet.

Again, these new boards are identiical to my three others!
    Two of them! they don't even beep!
    I'm confused as to what you're actually asking. You say you have 3 identical motherboards and they all work fine, but you then say that they don't even beep? Could you clarify what exactly your problem is?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

More on Asus Boards

Thanks for replying.

First, I have 5 of the same Asus boards. I can't get the two new ones to do anything.

Second, I'm sort of new to the whole Linus 32 and 64 thing.

Are you saying that if I download 32-bit RPMs, they will run on my AMD64?

So there is really no reason for anyone to ever get a Sempron?

Also, if I install the Linux 64-Bit OS, will it run the 32-bit apps mentioned above?

Is there any reason to install a 32 bit Linux OS with my configuration? Can it be done?

Thanks

Re: More on Asus Boards

Are you saying that if I download 32-bit RPMs, they will run on my AMD64? Also, if I install the Linux 64-Bit OS, will it run the 32-bit apps mentioned above?
    Yes. You can install a 32-bit OS on and AMD64 and it will run at the same speed (or better) than a 32-bit native Athlon. Linux or MS Windows, it doesn't matter. You can also run 32-bit Linux applications in a 64-bit Linux OS *most of the time*. 64-bit Linux distributions usually install the 32-bit and 64-bit libraries in separate spots so whatever the base of the program (32 or 64) it will be able to run.

So there is really no reason for anyone to ever get a Sempron?
    Thank the gods, no. There is no reason for anyone to buy a Sempron unless they simply can't afford an AMD64.

Is there any reason to install a 32 bit Linux OS with my configuration? Can it be done?
    Yes, and yes. Since 64-bit software is still pretty new, as you said, there really aren't any major performance advantages to running an all 64-bit Linux OS right now. You can also run into compatibility problems sometimes with 32-bit applications in a 64-bit Linux. For now, unless you just want the coolness factor of running a 64-bit OS (I do it, but I'm just cool like that) there's really no reason not to just install a 32-bit Linux distro on your AMD64 system and hold on for a while until more programs actually start taking advantage of the 64-bit goodness. You shouldn't have to wait too terribly long.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants