Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks for getting me on track!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks for getting me on track!

Just Joined!
    Back again!

Everything seems to be running fine so far had no more problems and had a play about with the settings etc. and seem to be getting to grips with it (slowly)!!

Anyway i have decided to install Red Hat onto my old Celeron 600mhz PC that did have Win 98 on it, i thought i could play about with Linux on here so that if i do something really stupid and delete stuff it doesnt really matter.

I have managed to install it although took noticeably longer than it did for my P4 but i expected that, i got everything installed and i have came across the same problems as my original post. It is very slow at screen updates and mouse movement etc.

I realise that it isnt going to be as fast as my newer PC but it is still unusable, anyway i tried what you suggested last time and used the VESA driver which seemd to solve the problem but when i try to change the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 it will not change and says i need to reset the X server before the changes take effect. How do i reset the X Server?? and is part of the problem down to the spec of my machine??

This is my machine spec:
    Intel Celeron 600MHZ Processor
    14GB Hard Disk
    64MB RAM
    Intel i810 on board graphics.

Hope you can help again.

Cheers
    Graeme

Linux Guru
    What method did you use to change the resolution? Can you open your /etc/X11/XF86Config, look up the "Display" subsection inside the "Screen" section, and see what the "Modes" line says?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The modes line says "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480". i just changed the resolution in the system settings section once i had logged in.

Linux Guru
    And it doesn't work? Can you mail me the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log. I'll put it up on my HTTP server so that it becomes public. It will be too long to put in a post, though.

Btw., have you rebooted or logged out and in since you changed it? The X server needs to be restarted to reread the config file.

Just Joined!
    Yeah i have rebooted but doesnt make a difference. How do i go about getting that file to you? Where do i find it etc?

Linux Guru
    Find it? Its name is /var/log/XFree86.0.log. My email address is at the bottom of the post. You could also, at your preference, connect anonymously to my FTP (ftp://dolda2000.com/) server and upload it to the "incoming" directory.

Just Joined!
    Heya!

Yeah... restart the X server means hitting CTRL - ALT - BACKSPACE (not delete! thats a windshit key combo!)

Make sure you dont have anything important open, as it'll close everything down, and reset the X server.

It worked for me when i was on redhat!

This should be noticably easier then all this x11 manual config mumbo jumbo

Just Joined!
    Hey

I have just tried that but still the resolution will not change, the settings say it is set to 1024 x 768 but it clearly has not changed it looks more like 640x480.

Just Joined!
    Wow, that sucks balls man. I'm really sorry it's not working for you! It always worked for me.

I kind of wonder if the graphic card is erroring or something when it trys 1024 and so it reverts back to default (640) -- I'm sorry you're having this problem.

Keep posting around, try linuxquestions.org - dont give up!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast