Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I always enjoy talking to my ISP's network experts. The moment you mention Linux, they start stuttering and saying, "...please hold..."...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I always enjoy talking to my ISP's network experts. The moment you mention Linux, they start stuttering and saying, "...please hold..."
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, managerdan - glad to hear you are up and running.

Sometimes, I think those so-called ISP techs read straight from a script or something, because if you even mention the word Linux it throws them off their stride and they start stumbling over their own tongues.

You'll get much better support from these forums, and will certainly learn alot more along the way. Have fun!

Linux Engineer
    They do read from a script. The individuals that get hired for tech support these days don't really know their stuff. And if they do know it, and deviate from the script, they're dinged.

Couple that with the outsourcing of tech support to India and you have a recipe for disaster in the tech field here in North America. It's no small wonder that boards such as this do so well.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

hehe, britain is just as bad. i hear you. have you noticed that they are removing troubleshooting from manuals? so we have to ring tech support to get the same information that should be in the manual.

Linux Newbie
    Libranet 3.0 / Debian automatically configures my Westell Model 327W modem for DSL connection via Verizon. Verizon provides no support for a Linux connect.

Heck, they provide little or no support for a Windoze connection. When the same modem failed to connect via WinXP SP2, they wanted to send me a replacement modem. I rarely use Windoze so I declined. They promptly sent an email message that they had solved the problem in less than 10 minutes.

I'll stick with Linux.

Jeff

Just Joined!

On to configuration

Thanks again for the help in the successful installation of Linux
    Suse. I am having a whole lot of fun with this OS. I'm not sure what to do next, so I'll continue reading the Administrative Guide, Chapter 2 on Configuration. I feel like a rookie at this, but I am having too much fun to care. So, I'll end this thread for now. Your right, this is a good place to get help.

See you all later.

I think the main reason most ISP's state no support for Linux is because the software they want you to install, which is Win only software, contains the online tech support client which is obviously easier to manage than tele support. Also they do get a lot of calls on how to set up the Windows Dial Up configuration so no doubt that's got a lot do with it. They usually call it setup software but that's a misnomer.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Engineer
    Most tech support facilities like standardization. This is why they usually limit tech support to Windows and Mac software. It's easier for them to create the scripts and troubleshoot with a known installation.

With Linux, there can be a ton of variables. Granted, the majority of the problems encountered in this forum could be handled the same way as they're repeated over and over and over again. Hmmmmmm. Wonder if Jason can force a user to search before creating a new thread?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Thing is you're dead right about helpdesks - but think about it...You need 100 operators to field the number of calls they get. Are they really going to pay 100 cross trained MCSE/RHCEs/Mac Sysadmins? Truth is you get 100 students to answer straight from a sheet and a team of 5 sysadmins for genuine tech issues.

You gotta remember that most calls are tragcally simple. Modem turned off or somesuch. But while we all sit back and brag about our tech knowledge remember as great as that us joe-soap user shouldn't need to understand security. It should just work. What we should ask of users is that they use their initiative and drop the superstitions, things work with cause and effect.

Anyway, it's like it was said, as long as you're using an ethernet router with DHCP it should be a no brainer. They only provider that genuinely doesn't work is AOL, because they use a different protocol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2