Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was about to install Linux Suse when my internet provider, SBC (DSL) wrote back saying they are not compatible with Linux. I'm told they are only compatible with Window ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which internet provider?

I was about to install Linux Suse when my internet provider, SBC (DSL) wrote back saying they are not compatible with Linux. I'm told they are only compatible with Window OS's.
    Does anyone have a list of internet (cable, DSL, or dialup) providers that work with Linux Suse? Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    What they're saying is they won't support you if you have any issues. You should be able to use SBC DSL, or any other broadband provider.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!

SBC and Linux compatible?

The following is their exact wording. Their software disk won't setup with Linux.

SBC writes >>>
    Dan, I understand that you want to connect the SBC DSL connection on the Linux operating system. I am providing you the minimum system requirement for SBC Yahoo! DSL:

Windows 98 First Edition
    Windows 98 Second Edition
    Windows ME
    Windows 2000 (2000 Pro, 2K SP1, 2K SP2, 2K SP3, 2K SP4)
    Windows XP Home and Pro (XP SP1 for Home and Pro)
    266 MHz or higher
    64 MB of RAM (128 recommended)
    150 MB of hard drive space or higher
    CD-ROM or DVD drive

SBC Yahoo! DSL is not compatible with Linux.

In all future communications on this topic please refer to Case ID 101352466.

<<< SBC.

Well, thanks for the reply...later.

Linux Engineer
    Con job. If they use DHCP, and allow you to connect to the DSL modem via a Cat 5 cable, there's no reason why you can't connect using Linux. You shouldn't have to load their software. Lord knows I never load it from Road Runner!
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Engineer

Re: SBC and Linux compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by managerdan
    The following is their exact wording. Their software disk won't setup with Linux.
    Doesn't SBC Yahoo have that IE and AOL-like browser? That's probably all that's on the disk.

It's very likely that they're lying. If you call them up you won't be able to get tech support but that probably doesn't mean that you can't get service from Linux.

Why sponsor a provider who is saying that their connection won't work with Linux. There must be many more providers I assume.
    I'm not in the same country as you are but I can choose from at least 30 broadband providers. Some actually say they support Linux so put your money where your heart is, a Linux friendly provider

Linux Engineer
    I'm not aware of any major broadband provider in the US (or North America) that will come out and state they "support" anything other than Windows and Mac.

Two reasons for this..

1. Cheap tech support
    2. Cheap tech support
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

The tech support of most providers is not worth calling it support anyway

Just Joined!

Linux Suse works great

Ok, I made the jump over to Linux Suse tonight. You were absolutely correct about the SBC internet provider. I had to manually enter or configure DHCP and Linux Suse connected like it wanted too. They told me a bunch of crap about not being compatible. I just tested my email and that works fine too. I appreciate the help...thank you.

Hey, I really like this Linux Suse. Finally, I am free from Microsoft.

Take care...later.

Linux User
    A lot of local broadband providers will at least mention that it's compatible with Linux with such and such a modem, and some will offer some guidance if you're nice about it, especially if you keep things as more of a tech discussion. In Tucson, this is mostly with DSL, I'm guessing this is the case in most areas. I'm sure there are some ISP's here and there that fully support Linux.

In Flagstaff the ISP Infomagic is (or was) highly involved in LUNA, the local LUG.

Speakeasy offers an RPM Find service with one of their Plus options, I don't know if they actually support Linux, though.

The cool thing about local ISP's is even if they don't have any interest in FOSS, if you mention in passing that you use Linux they're likely to keep an eye out for decisions that might cause you problems. Whenever I call up my ISP I talk to the head tech and he asks me questions about Linux, one of these days maybe he'll be ready to give it a try
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast