Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I notice they have wireless cards for sale with the systems. Are these supported in Linux or should I buy a third-party wireless card that's more compatible?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I notice they have wireless cards for sale with the systems. Are these supported in Linux or should I buy a third-party wireless card that's more compatible?

Linux Guru
    Almost all 802.11b cards nowadays are built on Intersil's Prism2 or Prism2.5 chipsets, which are supported in Linux. Not all are natively supported, though, so you might have to download a 3rd party driver, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't supported at all.

Linux Engineer
    You can get inspiron 8100's on ebay for under $1000

Just Joined!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31508

I know it's not all THAT complete of a hardware list but I'm tempted to purchase this in favor of a Dell due to price and ease of finding a machine with an nVidia graphics card.

Two things bother me. One, there's no name-brand manufacturer. Two, I don't know for certain how it will run Linux.

What do you all think? Stick with searching for the 8200 with a GeForce or take a chance on a no-name-brand?

Linux Engineer
    Thought you were looking for a lowprice laptop? If I was looking for a 8200 right now, I would probably get this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42201

What is better about that dell is it has a full warrenty until 2005. From my experience, dell has the best warrenty service. When I overclocked my gf2 in my 8100 and melted the memory, they replaced it for free no questions asked. Can't beat service like that.

Just Joined!

I got a better deal on an 8200 but I'll tell you about it as soon as I purchase it. Not that I don't trust you all but someone else might be reading this. I'll be back in a few hours to show you which one.

Just Joined!
    Sold at $1k for 2.0Ghz, GeForce 4 (64MB version), and a UXGA screen. Not bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2