Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed JAMD Linux because i have been hearing so much things about it. So when i finished the installation i tried to configure my dsl modem. I tried to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

JAMD Linux Problem!

I installed JAMD Linux because i have been hearing so much things about it. So when i finished the installation i tried to configure my dsl modem. I tried to use the ./configure command when i realized that there was no gcc nor gcc c++ installed. I have read on yowwwws guide that neither make is installed. So i have a problem. I can't use apt-get because i have no modem ( dah) so i can't download the development tools. So my question is where and what do i need to download through winxp (keep going back to windows ) to be able to use ./configure make and make install commands to get my modem working.

Linux Enthusiast
    that is quite a bind for sure.

there are people working on getting the development tools into a downloadable form, although I haven't much as of late.

you could try to use the compilers from the red hat 9 cd which is on which jamd is based.
    I can't promise it will work, but if you are in a tight spot, check that out. Also you could post on the jamd forum which is linked from my guide.

hope it works out!

Just Joined!
    Well i visited the JAMD linux forum and found out that its been a problem for other users as well. There is no solution since using the development tools form Red Hat 9 cds have a lot of dependancies which can't be solved (at least by me etc Kernel-headers). So i switched back to red hat. I think the development team of JAMD should consider at least providing some of the basic tools such as gcc, make etc even if this means giving 2 cd isos instead of 1.
    Well thanks anyway.

Linux Enthusiast
    that is in the making, and it has been discussed on several occasions. luckily for jamd, there are lots of users that...

1 - don't care about development packages and would rather have the speed
    2 - can get them via an internet download

too bad you went back to the darkside