Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last night an I embarked onto the journey of adding a 40GB Hard Drive for Fedora Core 3 to my computer, I ran across some challenges. After finally getting the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

FC3/Windows Dual Boot Problem

Last night an I embarked onto the journey of adding a 40GB Hard Drive for Fedora Core 3 to my computer, I ran across some challenges. After finally getting the hard drive installed, because Dell likes to put a screw in everything possible, I booted up the computer. First I went into the BIOS and made sure the drive was recognized, had to change the primary slave setting from off to auto, rebooted back into BIOS and the drive was found. At this point, I thought everything was going to go great! Not so fast. I booted from the Fedora CD, and went installing. When I got to the Partioning section, everything went down hill. Fedora didn't see the new hard drive, only my 80GB Windows drive. So, I booted into Windows to see if Windows saw the drive, which it did. It was weird though, because the drive made 2 partions, one was 5GB and one was 32 GB. So I figured the person who had the drive before me (eBay) had it partioned and what not. So, I started formatting the 2 partions, the 5GB did fine, then the 32GB errored right at the end. It said 'Unable to format drive.' I was using the format option when you right click a drive. By this time, it was late and I had to come to work this morning, so I just went to sleep. Are there any suggestions? I am going to boot from a Start Up Disk when i get home and fix the partions to just being one drive, format, and then try again. Are there any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Just for info, it is a Dell 4600 Media Center, with an 80GB Hard Drive with Windows Media Center 2004 (only keeping for the TV) with a 2.6 P4, 1GB DDR-RAM, DVD+-RW, blah blah blah. Thanks for any help.

Linux Engineer
    Is the drive set to LBA in the BIOS? Sounds as if you're running into the 32 gig limit which is found on older BIOS chips.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

not sure if it is LBA or not. Not sure what that is.

It can't be an older chip like that, I have an 80 GB partioned into 2 x 40GB. They both work fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That ebay drive might have physical sector damage.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    not sure if it is LBA or not. Not sure what that is.

It can't be an older chip like that, I have an 80 GB partioned into 2 x 40GB. They both work fine.
    Not saying you have the older chipset. However, if you haven't set the drive properly in the BIOS, it could act as if you do.

What does the drive show as in the BIOS?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

In the BIOS it says 40 GB, well like 400000 bytes or something.

as the primary slave drive. is this what it is supposed to be? I have never dual booted a machine before. =Here is what I would like to happen, the 80GB is already set up like this:

80GB Drive: which is set as primary master drive
    Partition 1 (40GB): Windows
    Partition 2 (40GB): Back up for windows

40GB Drive: which is set as primary slave drive
    All of it will be used for linux (FC3)

I dont see it happening, but if needed I would reinstall windows.