Find the answer to your Linux question:
O.k I used to run windows 2000 then decided to go try Linux. At first I hated it but their is something about it that keeps bringing me back. In ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bye Bye Windows Again!!

O.k I used to run windows 2000 then decided to go try Linux. At first I hated it but their is something about it that keeps bringing me back. In the time I had linux I did not have one single problem. Last week I decided to go back to windows 2000 again because their are a few programs that I miss i.e dreamweaver, photoshop and stuff but already my os is starting piss me around and jerk me off. Im getting that usual Microsoft thing where you cannot get an instant shutdown. I have already picked up a virus and seem to have other **** on my machine that I never asked for. My hard drive is a mess and My internet explorer is starting to behave strangely as well.
    At least My linux felt safe and secure and shut down almost immediately and one other thing its much prettier than windows as well. Yesterday I tried to network two windows machines together and what a complete fcking joke that is as well. I remember when I was using mandrake and my brother was on windows, mandrake got my brother connected through me within minutes and he never had any trouble using the net again. Its even got to the point where he said when are we getting linux back. Im now going back to linux again becuase windows completely stinks and I hate its guts big time. If only these software houses would develop more titles for linux then windows would gradually fall to its knees. Im going to try Wine again this time and try not tp give up this time around. Yes it is a headache sometimes but the results are well worth the aggro. You end up with a decent machine and a decent os and you dont get arseholes sending you evil **** through your email.

Please tell me what in your opinion which is better for wine Mandrake / Debian or Slackware?

Linux Guru
    I don't use Wine much (since I have completely given up on Winbloze and anything related to it), but I would guess that Mandrake would be most suited if any.

However, what I really wanted to say is that before resorting to Wine, try some of the native Linux alternatives instead. There are a lot of open source HTML studios for Linux, and although I just write HTML in my favorite text editor emacs (which I, of course, recommend first of all), there are members of this forums that use them successfully. The name I've managed to gather is Quanta, but there are other as well only that I don't remember their names. As for photoshop, give The GIMP a shot. As always there are different camps that cling to different programs, but there are a large community that claims that The GIMP is the best of all these image editing programs. Of course, which is best is up to you to decide, but at least The GIMP is a worthy competitor.
    Almost all programs (except games) have counterparts in Linux. Some of them are better than the corresponding Windows programs, while some of them are not. At least you might want to try them out, because they certainly integrate better with the rest of the system than a program running through Wine.

Linux Engineer
    I don't see how any distro would run wine better then the next. I have used wine on slack, debian, and gentoo all without problems. Anyway if you are having problems with wine, use vmware. You can run windows on top of linux in a virtual machine.. I use that on my work laptop since we run an exchange server at work and I need to use outlook + pki.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Genlee, are you aware of Ximian Connector that you can use to connect Evolution to an Exchange server?

Just Joined!
    In the Redhat 9 Bible (at your local Barnes & Noble) it says that it has serious difficulty using Wine and WineX. In order to fix this you have to download a "vanilla" kernel so sayeth the book.

Linux Enthusiast
    yup, thats cuz the builds are 'broken'. I've been telling people that for ages.