Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new at Linux and have only used Redhat9 with the Gnome and KDE interfaces. I want to set up workstations for low income families (primary and high school ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for the people

I am new at Linux and have only used Redhat9 with the Gnome and KDE interfaces.
    I want to set up workstations for low income families (primary and high school students) to access a good interface and run open office which will deal with their schoolwork.
    What is the basic hardware - CPU, ram, hard drive space, to set up a good user interface. is network ability an issue?
    I have found it to be hungry for HDD and ram, however if you compare it to the requirements of .. say Windows XP..... there is a par . I have it running on a Pentium 333Mhz and 2Gig HDD and only 32Mb ram.
    it runs slow, but the interface is looks quite good and generating a lot of interest.
    What hardware requirements are needed for different distributions of Linux? and what are the plus and minus of the various distros around?

Linux Engineer
    Personally I find Mandrake 9.0 & 9.1 less memory hungry than RH9. Might be worth having a go with them.

of the main three i would say mandrake seemed to me to be less memory hungry as well. i would say suse is probably your most memory hungry but that is jst what i have noticed on my computer (Amd K6 233, 128Mb Ram) hope this helps you out some
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!