Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've ran a couple of distro of Linux, but needed better hardware than I had. I got what seemed to be good stuff, especially for the price (free) I've got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.1, Radeon

I've ran a couple of distro of Linux, but needed better hardware than I had. I got what seemed to be good stuff, especially for the price (free)

I've got a Radeon 7000 PCI adapter, and tested the X configuration when I installed 9.1. All seemed to work well, but I can't get X to start anywhere other than in the install program. I have an oddball monitor that uses higher refresh rates than normal(100Hz for 800x600, 85 Hz for 1024x76 I know that I get the same 'standby' condition from my monitor when I try to low a refresh rate in a Win enviroment. I have tried to reconfigure X, but have never gotten that to go off properly. I know I'm missing something, probably simple, in XF86Config, but have no idea what.

Any ideas?

Specs: Cel 466MHz, 256MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000PCI, Proview 768 monitor

Linux Guru
    in my XF86Config i have:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "My Monitor"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
    # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

HorizSync   31.5 - 64.3

#    HorizSync  30-64         # multisync
    #    HorizSync  31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
    #    HorizSync  15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
    # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

VertRefresh 50-160

EndSection
    have you tried changing the horizontal and vertical refresh rates in this section? (they should be printed on a sticker on the back of your monitor).

Jason

Just Joined!
    OK, where do I need to look to find which X86config file I'm using? I have several on down in the X11 tree. (Can't get there right now, in a M$ eviro)

Also, the OS fails to start my USB. I have my mouse connected to USB. Mouse worked fine during setup, was defined as USB wheel mouse, and operation confirmed in the 'summary' panel at the end of setup. Since I'm not getting a error generated on loggin, anything is suspect at this point

the normal config file is /etc/X11/XF86Config in mandrake 9.1 it seems to use /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 there's a file you can check to see which one it's using but I forget what the file is
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

Just Joined!
    OK, I've done a complete re-install of MDK 9.1. At the end, I checked the configs for X, the mouse, well, everything in the summary panel. All checked OK. Still no GUI

If I boot into failsafe, and check the X config, it says its not configured. When I check the mouse config, it lists as a PS/2. I've looked around some, and see that the Radeon drivers fully support 8500's and up. The one I have is a 7000, according to the box it came in, a RV 100 according to the sticker on the card itself, and has been used in Win98 as a VE, dual head (which it's not, or at least not dual head. Source for this driver was OpenGL.org) Does anyone else have one of these cards working n Linux?

I still think the mouse is at least part of the issue, but USBD appears to be working. I don't get any errors from that module, anyway.