Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. Hope someone here can help me. I have a "custom" laptop made by a company called B3. I like the computer, but Im sick of Windows and all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"B3" laptop

Hello everyone. Hope someone here can help me. I have a "custom" laptop made by a company called B3. I like the computer, but Im sick of Windows and all of the crashing and bugs that go with it. Im told that Linux is the way to go. However, I don't know what is inside my computer (hardware, that is) and Im guessing its probably proprietary because the thing cost me a fortune. Can anyone tell me how to find out what's inside and if its possible to use Linux on my particular laptop?

Just Joined!

Re: "B3" laptop

Quote Originally Posted by jasonkelly
    Hello everyone. Hope someone here can help me. I have a "custom" laptop made by a company called B3. I like the computer, but Im sick of Windows and all of the crashing and bugs that go with it. Im told that Linux is the way to go. However, I don't know what is inside my computer (hardware, that is) and Im guessing its probably proprietary because the thing cost me a fortune. Can anyone tell me how to find out what's inside and if its possible to use Linux on my particular laptop?
    Well at least you could catch with dmesg what kind of hardware is found at boot time. Also the command 'lspci' does list all PCI cards inside your machine. Have you already desided what distro you'll going to use?

Linux Engineer
    lspci in windows??? first i heard about it.

search google for a program called SiSoft Sandra (also just Sandra)... its a windoze hardware detection/overclockign thing, can get really good details about device numbers and widnows driver configs (although sometimes these can be misleadign so its usually best to just go with the device num)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmasker
    lspci in windows??? first i heard about it.

search google for a program called SiSoft Sandra (also just Sandra)... its a windoze hardware detection/overclockign thing, can get really good details about device numbers and widnows driver configs (although sometimes these can be misleadign so its usually best to just go with the device num)
    Assuming that you already installed a 'basic' distro of linux

Just Joined!
    To Daveo: I bought a book on Redhat 8.0 that came with a CD. Assuming I can make Linux work on my laptop, is this a good distro?

Linux Guru
    To be honest with you, RH8 isn't the best one RedHat made. You should download 9 instead. Some would suggest 7.3 as well, but that one's beginning to get a bit ancient. IMHO, RH8 is acceptable (I'm using it on this workstation), but people have been reporting all kinds of problems with it, and it does have several inherent flaws that I have had to remove manually on my system. Since you already have it, you might as well try it and see how it goes, though.
    Note, however, that if you have a limited amount of RAM (I don't know how old this computer is), the latest version of both GNOME and KDE might very well be too much for the computer. If that is the case, you might want to try RH7.1 instead. It has an older version of GNOME that doesn't require at least as much memory.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonkelly
    To Daveo: I bought a book on Redhat 8.0 that came with a CD. Assuming I can make Linux work on my laptop, is this a good distro?
    Well that's a question which can be found in many forums. All information provided is based on personal experience. In my option I found redHat to commercial, to many interfaces etc etc. But to get started with and getting al basics together it fine. If you have any experience with RH you can go a step further by trying Slackware, which is also userfriendly but you we'll need to configure more by hand. This helps for getting further step by step. I should suggest have a good look at several distro's and based on every distro experience, get your favorite distro.

As mentioned by HEAD GURU, download RH 9 ... any give it a try ....