Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, my problem is a dvd with SUSE where some files are no more readable. I allready found the packages elsewhere, but I would like to recreate the bootable DVD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to recreate the installation DVD ???

Hello, my problem is a dvd with SUSE where some files are no more readable. I allready found the packages elsewhere, but I would like to recreate the bootable DVD to have all files in one place for installation.

I have copied all the files to HDD and added the replaced/unreadable files but I do not know how to make the DVD bootable. The command dd will be enough to get the bootimage from "old" to "new" DVD ?

Sorry for stupid questions

Just Joined!
    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=~/SuSE9.X.iso
    (be careful using the dd command)
    This first command creates an exact copy of your install DVD on your hard drive. (Have 1GB to 2GB empty first.) This could take a long time.

If you got k3b installed, use that to burn your .iso image to another DVD (you must have a dual-layer write optical drive to do this)
    Type k3b at a console and it should open up. On the menu, click Tools -> DVD -> Burn DVD ISO Image
    Locate the iso file, select it, and select the correct optical drive to burn the image.
    Or, any of your other fav cd burner applications...

Or... if you just want to take the files and add a boot image to it, you must extract the boot image from your DVD. I am not sure how to do this, but I have found tons of tools for it in winblowz, and I am never in that OS, can someone please tell me how to do this in *NIX?
    Then you have to make an iso filesystem with mkisofs or equivelent and repeat a step above.

Or.. of course, if you have 2 DVD drives, read from one and copy to the other.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromatic Distortion
    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=~/SuSE9.X.iso
    (be careful using the dd command)
    This first command creates an exact copy of your install DVD on your hard drive. (Have 1GB to 2GB empty first.) This could take a long time.

If you got k3b installed, use that to burn your .iso image to another DVD (you must have a dual-layer write optical drive to do this......

Yeah, I have no .iso file as the DVD is partially damaged and can not be read at 100%, so I only have copied the readable files to drive and the unreadable replaced from another source....Concerning burning, I have a NEC DVD burner supporting the Dual Layer working fine under SuSe, so it should be no problem to burn... and I could access the files even from wiblows, but what software could I use to get the boot image, relatively to burn it then? I got Nero soft, but it can only use image from floppy A: or some crazy built-in images, there is no way to use some extracted image.

1) What soft under winblows could I use to get the boot image?
    2) Can I then burn in K3b using this image without putting it to floppy?
    - I have all the files from DVD recovered, so the boot is only problem
    3) Do I have to use mkisofs before K3b? Im not very skilled so hope not to make some misstake.
    4) To save the time, could be some of the bootimages in boot dir used?
    - I have SuSe 9.3, there are more bootimages in the DVD but Im not sure, whether some of them can be used back to burn the DVD

Thanks a lot for any help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Better get your reading glasses on--

Is the install DVD still bootable, if the bootable part is scratched, you're going to have to download the whole thing again. (Oh, joy)
    If so read on--

Get & try BBIE -- (runs only on WinNT4 & ^)
    http://www.nu2.nu/bbie/#2

Be sure to invoke it with the -b option.
    Save the files it puts out to a removeable USB drive, or other shareable partition beween lin&win
    Yes. You must use mkisofs. (unless you find a graphical front end for it).
    This program has many options.
    I learned how to make bootable CDs by reading a section in the GRUB manual -
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...table%20CD-ROM
    and also this will help you make one with lilo --
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

Try making one of these above first.
    Experiment around, I'm not sure what boot images are on Suse.

Finally, use k3b to burn the ISO image. Boot it up. See if you did it right. If not, you probably used a switch or something wrong when using mkisofs. (or could be something else).

Didn't your mother say this builds character?

Next time, save the iso image to HD, take it from someone who scratches a lot of cds and has to rebuy them.

Just Joined!
    Oh, and uh -- you can also force dd to complete in the face of read errors by doing
    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=suse.x.iso noerror