Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi No one has been able to help me with this problem and I mean know one lol I have asked hundreds of so called linux experts, and none have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lusb help with????

Hi

No one has been able to help me with this problem and I mean know one lol I have asked hundreds of so called linux experts, and none have given a solution that worked.

I am having no luck at all installing my adsl modems, either one.
    I had decided to give l
    Linux another go because people were swearing blind to me that it was getting a lot better, but it seems every time I try it again, no matter the distro, I always end up with an unfixable problem that I canít solve. It simply scares me away, why does it have to be so hard to operate? Itís supposed to be a system designed to make my life easier not more stressful?

Anyways I am after installing either my Zoom modem or my Copperjet allied data 800 one, both adsl usb modems.

With the copperjet one I managed to get hold of a driver for it from sourceforge, and it looked to be the promising of the two for a success, but I am getting the following error when I do a, make

cc -I../lib/libusb -c common.c
    cc -I../lib/libusb -lusb 5160.c common.o -o 5160
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lusb
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit stats
    make[1]:*** [5160] Error 1
    make[1]:leaving dir the dir i was doing the make in
    make:*** [911] error 2

Now I had a look around through google doing a search for, lusb, and found some forum posts relating to, usbutils, package, and it not being installed, so I checked and usbutils is installed on my machine,

So I am stumped, I have no clue what to do next??????????

Its so frustrating because I have the driver for the copperjet modem right here I just canít install it because of that dumb error above.

If its not asking for usbutils with lusb in it, then what the hell is , -lusb, and how can I get it on my system?

Or if its not asking for -lusb then what the hell is it asking for??????
    Can anyone out there help me at all?? I am a n00b and have no clue what to do next at all???

I am using Mandrake 9.1
    Hyperion out

Linux Guru
    It's asking for libusb. Do you have it installed? And more importantly, if you do, do you have the devel package installed? If you don't have it installed at all, fetch it from http://libusb.sourceforge.net/. If you have the runtime libs installed but not the devel package, well, then it depends on your package manager how to get it.