Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK......here's the deal. I was just messin around on a test box so this does not really matter anyways, but here is what I did. I installed 2003 server, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No swap space - oh no!

OK......here's the deal. I was just messin around on a test box so this does not really matter anyways, but here is what I did. I installed 2003 server, and I wanted to dual boot Fedora Core 3. As I was going through, I told Fedora to install to sda, because 2003 server was on hda. As much as I tried, it would not create a swap space on sda, it kept on giving me errors about not being able to create that partition as the primary or something along those lines.

So......in short I ended up leaving the swap space out. It seems to run "ok" so far, but having swap space has to be so much better. Can I add it now?????

Linux Newbie

SURE

I am sure you can. If you have a partition made for it then you have to know the /dev/..... Then you just put some info in your /etc/fstab. I don't know the exact command because I don't have a swap partition But if you don't have a swap partition then I would either shrink one of the other partitions using "qtparted" or use a swap file. qtparted is on most Knoppix CDs
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024

Just Joined!
    But I am going to have to resize this ext3 partition that I have Fedora on now, to make room for the swap right? Is there a free tool that I can use to do that?

Or if I don't even have to do it, forget it

Maybe I'm better running without one? The machine does have 768 MB of RAM in it.......................

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Unless you're going to do something with VERY heavy load, you probably won't need a swap partition with that much memory. I always recommend to have a swap partition "just in case" but since this is a test box, I don't think it's that big a deal.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Sweet - I'll just keep it this way then.

Less work for me!

Linux User
    Because it is a test box I think you should take the time to put a swap space in. If you start hammering on it and chew up the memory you will expierence pain.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

In http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-46024.html is a post of me how to create a swapfile. That doesn't require any repartitioning or reformatting and works fine.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Engineer
    hell, you'll probably be even faster without, since physical memory is faster than swap.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs