Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I already have a partition for Windows XP and that is the only partition I have on my drive. When I boot slackware I continuously try to play with fdisk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Having trouble installing Slackware 10.1

I already have a partition for Windows XP and that is the only partition I have on my drive. When I boot slackware I continuously try to play with fdisk and cfdisk but I cant figure out how to just make a 10 gig partition dedicated to Slackware 10.1. So can someone point me to a tutorial or tell me how to go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Travis

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks flatline, but all of that I saw in help when I typed it in. Can anyone tell me exactly what to type in to make a partition of 10 gigs.

Please and Thank you,
    Travis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Just an example, fdisk will prompt you for some stuff:
    Code:
    bash-2.05b# fdisk /dev/hda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4865.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
       (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1               1        1217     9775521   83  Linux
    /dev/hda2   *        1218        2434     9775552+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda3            2435        2502      546210   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda4            2503        4865    18980797+  83  Linux

Command (m for help): d 
    Partition number (1-4): 1

Partition number (1-4): 2

Partition number (1-4): 3

Selected partition 4

Command (m for help): n
    Command action
       e   extended
       p   primary partition (1-4)
    p
    Partition number (1-4): 1
    First cylinder (1-4865, default 1): 
    Using default value 1
    Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (1-4865, default 4865): +10G

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1               1        1217     9775521   83  Linux

Command (m for help): w
    In that case I removed all of my linux partitions on the /dev/hda harddrive and created a 10G partition and at last before I wrote to disk (I skipped pressing enter after the last "w" since I don't really want the partition-table to be earsed and re-wrote...)
    Adjust according to which partitions you want and such. Also, do press "m" for a list of options.

If you're partitioning the first hard disk on your system, which is probably the case - type
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/hda
    Type n and hit enter...fdisk will ask if you want to set up an extended or primary partition. I always type p (for primary) and hit enter when I can (you can only have 4 primary partitions per disk, after that it has to be extended).

It will then ask for a partition number. Since Windows is probably at the front of the drive, type 2 and hit enter.

After that, it will ask for the start point (the default should be fine, so press enter to continue), then the ending point for the partition - this should be your swap partition, so double the amount of memory on your system and enter that as the size (for example, on a system with 256Mb of memory, you could enter +512M and hit enter). You have just created a partition 512Mb in size that is the second partition on your hard drive.

To define the partition's type, type t and hit enter. It will ask for a partition number - since we created partition 2, type 2 and press enter. It will then ask for a hex code; type 82 and press enter to make it a swap partition. You now have a 512Mb partition following your Windows partition that is defined as a swap partition.

To create your / (root) partition, follow the same steps as above, but use partition number 3, give the partition a LOT more space, and use 83 as the hex code to make it a standard linux filesystem.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    thanks soo much flatline I will try that now and tell you what i come up with.

Just Joined!
    After I put 2 as the partition number it said No Fre sectors available. What does that mean? And is there another way?

Just Joined!
    ^^^^ oh yeah and also I tried 3 and 4 and they both came up with the same message the one that says No free sectors available.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by travis33
    ^^^^ oh yeah and also I tried 3 and 4 and they both came up with the same message the one that says No free sectors available.
    No free sectors available I think means that your partition(s) are allready using the whole harddrive with no more space to create partitions on... Try to press "p" and enter to check the space used by your other partitions.

Just Joined!
    see i only have one partition and that is C: and it has 31 gigs left. How can I just take 10 gigs from that and create another partition.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast