Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi i lost XP due to a scratched CD but i didnt know that when i was reformatting and well only OS's i had were Debian which is INSANELY hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

!! N00BE !!Radeon 9000 Pro + RedHat9 = HELL !! N00BE HELP !!

Hi i lost XP due to a scratched CD but i didnt know that when i was reformatting and well only OS's i had were Debian which is INSANELY hard for me to use or Red Hat 9...

anyway after about 2 hours of tweaking i got it to work but the Radeon 9k Pro still dont work in OpenGL well it does but i suspect it to be in Software or something cuz it lags like m000

I downloaded ATi's drivers 4 Linux but still it didnt make a difference.. SOMEONE HELP MEEE :'(

am a Linux n00be, please help

Just Joined!

Linux Grows on You :)

Im actually starting to like Linux's interface now that ive figured out how to do some basic stuff it doesnt seem so evil and technically painful as it was before

Linux Guru
    Well, I'm terribly sorry to break it to you, but there is no good Radeon driver for Linux. nVidia has real badass drivers, but I don't really know what has happened to the Radeon drivers. It seems that they're never getting better.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

AH F***

OH GAWD WERE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just Joined!
    Nice 2 Know when ure screwed

Well i guess am pretty much screwed then... ure telling me everyone who uses Linux does not use an ATi card??? no?

EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO USES LINUX uses NVIDIA?

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. oh gawd well am screwed peepz.

Thanks 4 ure time, honestly

Just Joined!
    bare in mind i dont play any new games.. not sure what version the Half Life engine needs but... u sure theres not a working driver out there?

I only ever play Counter Strike n MAYBE an eeny weeny bit of Quake 3 anyything else i dont really care about and Quake 3 im not too bothered about anyway

oh dear i just found out ATi have better drivers for the MAC than for Linux... Pathetic :S

Linux Guru
    Well, it might be possible to get it to work better if you work a little on it, and check with the people on the appropriate mailing lists, like the DRI people. I don't know though; I've never had a Radeon card and I don't intend to get me one, as it seems right now. In any case, I've never had the chance to experiment on one.

In any case, everyone who wants real 3D performance uses nVidia, that's right. Personally, I found so much more fun things to do other than gaming anyway since I switched from Winbloze, so I don't really worry much about it. There are just sometimes (very seldomly, though), that I waste some time with UT2k3 and the MP demo of RtCW. Haven't been doing that for over a month, though. Most of my Linux computers (not that I have any computer but Linux computers, but anyway...) have some simple yet powerful 2D card like an S3 Virge or a Neomagic chipset.

Linux Engineer
    ha ha, i use a 9200 and i set up a 9000 pro on my olds comp. (yes i set up linux on it too )

dri.sf.net has some that worked for my olds comp but my agp drievr doesnt work so i had to go find others. (NOTE linux kernels < 2.5 (adn early 2.5) dont support agp 8x, so set it to 4x in ur bios. (altho i think 9000's only do 4x so it shoudlnt matter)

http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html These ones look godd and have good reviews so im gonna try them 2nite. take ur pick

Just Joined!
    Hey, I'm a noob too when it comes to Linux, but I've been reading around quite a bit. One thing seems to come across loud and clear: if gaming is important to you you better dual boot Linux/Windows. Linux is just not as good for gaming as Windows for a lot of different reasons.

Linux Guru
    That depends on how you look at it. If you have an nVidia card, then games usually run faster on Linux than on Windows. Then on the other hand, there aren't that many games available natively to both Windows and Linux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast