Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a hard drive format that can be accessed on both linux and windows os's? like, if i have a 200gb hd and set aside 5 gb formatted ext2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Passive Partition On Both Windows and Linux?

Is there a hard drive format that can be accessed on both linux and windows os's?

like, if i have a 200gb hd and set aside 5 gb formatted ext2 and all the other necesary partitions for mandrake linux, and 5 gb for a windows installation, is there a way that i could format the rest of the 190 gigs so that they could be accessed when using both os's? not that each file will work on both, but so that if i put some sort of media in that partition when using windows i could still access that same file in that same place while running linux?

i ask because i currently dual boot on a 200gb hd windows and linux, but only 10gb is formatted for use with linux and the other 190 is NTFS for windows. i'd like to seriously start using linux more.
    also, keeping data is not an issue, i can reformat the entire hd with no problem (i have everything backed up)

any feedback would be great

Just Joined!
    FAT partitions can be read/written by both Windows and Linux. Easy fix.