Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, everyone. Sadly, my laptop came with a lucent winmodem,and i figured that out after i bought Mandrake 9 Personal. After (quite) a bit of searching, I came up with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Older kernel install w/Mandrake 9.0

Hey, everyone. Sadly, my laptop came with a lucent winmodem,and i figured that out after i bought Mandrake 9 Personal. After (quite) a bit of searching, I came up with a driver for my EXCACT laptop from IBM, the company who made it. Then, i found out it requires Linux Kernel 2.2. Is there any way i can install Madrake w/2.2 instead of 2.4, thanks.

Linux Guru
    Are you completely certain that the driver won't work in the 2.4 series? I don't think that they've changed the interfaces to the tty and pci drivers that significantly between 2.2 and 2.4.
    If you really are sure, the older kernels are always available from http://www.kernel.org/. But I wouldn't recommend that solution.

Just Joined!

yea...

Ya, i tried installing it, i guess you have to do t through command line (the actuall install part). It said in the direction if you have 2.4, it will bring up errors, and sure enough it did. How would i install the kernel (im a newbie here). thx.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Have you tried compiling the driver from source, if IBM provides that?
    You can also follow the guides at http://linmodems.org/.

If you decide to install the older kernel anyway, there's a HOWTO on http://www.tldp.org/. They have many good HOWTOs to get you started on different subjects.

Just Joined!
    You will need a blank floppy disk. If you still have a version of Windows on your machine, boot windows then insert the first Mandrake installation CD. Look on the CD for a program called rawrite. You will use this to write a floppy image for the 2.2 kernel to the blank floppy disk I mentioned above. Start rawrite and find a 2.2 kernel image. I don't have the installation CD with me right now, but I believe the image you will need to use is located in a directory named images, and the file name is some derivative of cd-img-2.2 or something like that. I can tell you the exact name when I get a chance to look for my install CD. Anyway, try looking for a file like that or just look around it should be fairly easy to find. Once you find the floppy image file, just write it to the floppy using rawrite. Then reboot the machine making sure that the BIOS is set to boot from floppy first. Go through the installation as you normally would. Also, if you have a copy of the Mandrake user guide it should give more complete instructions on using rawrite if you have any questions.

Just Joined!

another q

Heres the page:
    http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR....html?doctype=
    I dont know anything about recompiling, so once again, how would i do that? Also im not sure if they have the source, but that why i gave you the link .

Just Joined!

ok, yay!

Thanks a lot Slant6, everything worked, know i need to reboot andinstall. ill be back with the full results soon!

Just Joined!

o weee! troubleshooting!

well, hello again. after succesfully installing mandrake again, i piled all my drivers and instructions onto a floppy and headed over to linuxland. no luck. same damn error as before when i had the 2.4 kernel. Im gonna post all hte instuctions and the excact errors so that maybe you can see what im doing wrong:

INSTRUCTIONS-------------------------------------------
    NOTE:
    -You must be logged into Linux as the "root" user to install this driver package.
    - This release only supports the Linux 2.2 kernel.

This Additional Information field contains the following sections:
    I. Special requirements
    II. Installation instructions
    III. Uninstall instructions

I. Special requirements

* To install this driver, you must be logged into Linux as the "root" user.
    * If you are upgrading from a previous Lucent modem driver, please uninstall the existing Lucent modem driver (according to the uninstall instructions for that driver) before installing the new one.
    * The modem driver package includes some source code that must be compiled against the Linux kernel. Although the installation script handles the compilation automatically, you must ensure that the source code for your Linux kernel is installed and accessible via the directory /usr/src/linux, and that the kernel source code and corresponding ".config" file match the kernel that you are running. Instructions for installing the kernel source code are beyond the scope of this document. However, you can refer to our Linux certification reports (http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs) for assistance.
    * Once installed, the Lucent modem can be accessed via the device /dev/ttyS14 or via the device /dev/modem. Configure your modem applications to use those devices.

II. Installation instructions

1. Start Linux
    2. Download this package into a directory on your hard disk. For these instructions, we'll assume that you've downloaded the self-extracting package into the directory " /root ".
    3. Start a Linux command terminal (a.k.a. command prompt) as the "root" user.
    4. Change the current directory to "/usr/src": cd /usr/src
    5. Extract the files from this package into the "/usr/src/ltmodem595lus" directory: bash /root/ltmodem595lus.sh
    6. Change the current directory to "/usr/src/ltmodem595lus": cd /usr/src/ltmodem595lus
    7. Build and install the Lucent modem driver by running the "make" command: make install
    8. NOTE: If you notice compilation errors or an indication that the "make" procedure aborted, it is most likely the result of either the kernel source code not being installed correctly or the use of an unsupported version of the Linux kernel.
    9. Refer to the included readme.txt file for additional information.

III. Uninstall instructions

1. Start Linux.
    2. Start a Linux command terminal (a.k.a. command prompt) as the "root" user.
    3. Change the current directory to "/usr/src/ltmodem595lus": cd /usr/src/ltmodem595lus
    4. Uninstall the driver by running the "ltuninst" command: ./ltuninst
    5. NOTE: This does not remove the files in the /usr/src/ltmodem595lus directory. To remove the /usr/src/ltmodem595lus directory and all of its contents, continue with step 6, otherwise stop here.
    6. Change the current directory to "/usr/src": cd /usr/src
    7. Remove the ltmodem595lus directory by using the "rm" command: rm -rf ltmodem595lus

ERROR I GOT-----------------------------------------------------
    Do you accept the license agreement? [Y/n]
    y
    Uncompressing Lucent Modem driver version 5.95.........
    [root@localhost src]# cd /usr/src/ltmodem595lus.sh
    bash: cd: /usr/src/ltmodem595lus.sh: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost src]# bash /usr/src/ltmodem595lus
    /usr/src/ltmodem595lus: /usr/src/ltmodem595lus: is a directory
    [root@localhost src]# cd cd /usr/src/ltmodem595lus
    bash: cd: cd: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost src]# cd /usr/src/ltmodem595lus
    [root@localhost ltmodem595lus]# make install
    ./ltuninst
    rmmod: module ltserial is not loaded
    rmmod: module ltmodem is not loaded
    make all
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ltmodem595lus'
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNO_EEPROM -w -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o ltmodem.a ltmodem.c
    make[1]: gcc: Command not found
    make[1]: *** [ltmodem.a] Error 127
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ltmodem595lus'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    [root@localhost ltmodem595lus]#

that was about it. before all that there was a huge licence agreement, so i didnt post it but i had to navigate around a bit and run some small things that they tell you to in the instrusions. Well, thanks eeryone, I hope we can fix this!

Linux Guru
    [root@localhost src]# cd /usr/src/ltmodem595lus.sh
    bash: cd: /usr/src/ltmodem595lus.sh: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost src]# bash /usr/src/ltmodem595lus
    /usr/src/ltmodem595lus: /usr/src/ltmodem595lus: is a directory
    Wasn't it supposed to be:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    bash /root/ltmodem595lus.sh

Just Joined!

right

I thinks that is right, but that code way autorun by the program. Ill try and fix it. thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast