Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks. My problem is kind of unique. Hope I will manage to explain it properly. Earlier I had an NTFS partition (C: ) for Windows and programs, FAT32 (D: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with partitions (WinXP & Gentoo) - SOLVED

Hi folks.

My problem is kind of unique. Hope I will manage to explain it properly.

Earlier I had an NTFS partition (C: ) for Windows and programs, FAT32 (D: ) for documents - a shared partition to be accessible from both Win XP and Gentoo, and 2 partitions (ext2fs and swap) for Gentoo. The problem was that I installed lilo to the MBR and, after I reinstalled Win XP, of course the bootloader disappeared.

I tried to recover lilo by copying 512bytes from the gentoo partition using "dd". For this I loaded Knoppix. Unfortunately, I obviously used dd wrong so that it started copying all files from the gentoo partition to the shared partition (FAT32). I killed that, but after restart, Windows cannot open the FAT32 partition anymore and suggests formatting it, whereas Knoppix shows the copied files from Gentoo. fdisk shows a FAT32 partition, but obviously something is wrong with it, otherwise I would be able to open the partition from Windows. I also used some other program in Windows which also showed that D: is a FAT32 partition, but inside there is Linux-created ext2fs partition. Is that possible?

Now the main question is if I can still recover the data I had in this FAT32 partition. Since all my documents are there, it is indeed very very important to recover them. I looked at the allocation of files in this partition and it seems that linux files have been appended, but not overwritten on my documents, but I am not sure.

Please, help.

Please tell me if any more info is needed.

Thanks.
    Best regards,
    Algirdas

Linux Engineer
    Boot Knoppix and copy the files from the vfat to the ext2.

As for the boot loader, I suggest installing GRUB with System Rescue CD.

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

But I have all the files that are in vfat in ext2 as well. The problem is that I cannot see the files that were earlier in vfat. So, I don't think simply copying them would help. Maybe I should delete them or smth?

Ok, I'll try to use the Restore CD.

Algirdas

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I tried to copy files from the linux partition to the newly created linux partition (instead of NTFS WinXP partition). I used cp and dd commands, none seem to work: the process continues for quite some time, but when I kill it, nothing can be seen copied.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you tried mountin the drive in knoppix then changing it to read write by right clicking then hitting yes
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Quote Originally Posted by algirdas2004
    I tried to copy files from the linux partition to the newly created linux partition (instead of NTFS WinXP partition). I used cp and dd commands, none seem to work: the process continues for quite some time, but when I kill it, nothing can be seen copied.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Also what did you format it as
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Just Joined!
    I formatted it as ext2fs file system. Then tried to copy files. Nothing seems to be copied. Maybe I should try that once again...

I'll try to change the read/write status.

Thanks!

Just Joined!

Solved!!!

FYI: I downloaded the program GetDataBack for FAT and recovered my files from the partition. After two days of intensive work, almost all the files have been already recovered, partitions corrected and everything seems to be working fine again.

Yahoo!!!!!

Thanks, guys, for help. I appreciate it.

Regards,
    Algirdas