Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The xf86config file has been uploaded to the ftp server. Is there a way for me to make Linux perform the monitor check again in order to re-establish it's link ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xf86

The xf86config file has been uploaded to the ftp server.

Is there a way for me to make Linux perform the monitor check again in order to re-establish it's link to a different monitor?

Thanks for all the help,

----------------------------------------S

Linux Guru
    Here it is:
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf...sey/XF86Config

Check out this part:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "Monitor0"
    	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    	ModelName    "Sun 17-inch 447Z"
    	HorizSync    31.0 - 72.0
    	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
    	Option	    "dpms"
    EndSection
    Apparently, the config generation program has stored wrong values for the sync frequencies. Remove the lines saying HorizSync and VertRefresh to make the X server probe the monitor via DDC instead. Restart the X server by logging out, and then, when the display manager's login screen is displayed, push Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc.

Do you have four of these? That's excessively cool, but how can one afford that? I have one 20" monitor, but that's just because I was able to inherit it from my dad's company quite some time ago. Although it is a bit old, It's certainly a great monitor, but I would never be able to afford it myself.

Just Joined!

I love them.

I got 4 because I used to be lead designer for a dot-com. When it went belly-up, I grabbed the unix workstations monitors. They totally kick butt.

I have 3 on my Mac, and one on my PC/Linux machine.

I'll try your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

------------------------S

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

uh oh. . .

Ummmm

I'm getting a command line when I try to log in. It's asking me for a login and telling me that

Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

What does this mean?

-----------------------------------S

Linux Guru
    Check the end of the log file to see what the error is. To do that, log in and run "tail -20 /var/log/XFree86.0.log".

Just Joined!
    I had backed up my XF86Config file on my root desktop. I was able to log in and overwrite the damaged one with the unchanged one in the command line. I'm back to square one because I lost my changes, so I'll try it again.

Thanks

-------------------S

Linux Guru
    It might have been that your monitor has DDC problems, like I mentioned before.

This is what your current Monitor section looks like.
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       HorizSync    31.0 - 72.0
       VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
       Option       "dpms"
    EndSection
    You could try manually replacing the frequencies with the correct ones as stated by the monitor's product page. The corrected Monitor section should look like this:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       HorizSync    30.0 - 107.0
       VertRefresh  48.0 - 120.0
       Option       "dpms"
    EndSection

Just Joined!

Woohoooo!!!!

It worked.

I deleted that text, and I also added "1920x1440" "1600x1200" to the resolution line below it. It logged me in at 1920x1440.

If I press Ctrl-Alt + and -, I can change resolutions, but the screen turns into this weird mode where I can scroll around the screen in a larger resolution by moving the mouse.

How do I set the system so that 1600x1200 is the default res?

Also, is there a definitive place I can look to find instructions on installing Maya 5 for Linux?

Thanks,

---------------------------S

Linux Guru
    The X server always uses the largest resolution that you specify as its virtual screen size. To decrease the size of the virtual screen, you will need to simply remove the 1920x1440 mode. You can try to run "xrandr -s 1600x1200", but I don't think that it works just like expected. I don't know if it updates the virtual screen size, but at least for me using sawfish, it doesn't seem that the window manager becomes aware of the change in resolution. The same might not go for other window managers, though, so try it; it might work with yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2