Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there all in the linux community, I have worked with M$ software for the last eight years. For the first time I have a spare PC and want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which disto???

Hi there all in the linux community,

I have worked with M$ software for the last eight years. For the first time I have a spare PC and want to try out linux.

I have no experience of linux or unix so whilst being advanced with M$ software I am coming to this as a newbie.

What recommendations do you have for which distribution I should go with? I have downloaded the mandrake 9.1 isos and redhat 9 isos? Is one better that the other? Is there a better disto for a newbie?

Replies much appreciated...

delarmi :o

Linux Guru
    Personally, I prefer RedHat before Mandrake any day, but there are several opinions on that. We are currently discussing this in a neighboring thread. You can find it here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=3720

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, i would take RH over MKD too.

for my opinion, see "my humble opinion on linux distros" on the guide link below.

it is just that though - an opinion and everyone has their preferences.

Linux User
    i came into the linux world about 6 months or so ago. and i started with mandrake and it was a wonderful thing till i came upon Slackeware...now slackware would have been brutal on me had i been new. but since i knew basic **** about linux. it wasnt so bad andnow i love it.