Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey i was curious if anyone has tryed to installed debian on any computer before. and i would like to know if X server installes by default and if not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing debian

hey i was curious if anyone has tryed to installed debian on any computer before. and i would like to know if X server installes by default and if not could some one point me to some good documentation on debian besides there web site cause it didnt help me much thanks everyone
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    I was going to give it a try earlier in the year with my new PC, but I couldn't get all the CD's I needed, so I didn't bother.
    I had printed out all the documentation, and from what I remember the documentation on the site is quite excellent.
    Debian will not install X for you by default, in fact a lot of people find debian as a very hard install.
    There are some tricky little programs that help you along, but from what I read the way to handle this is to install nothing graphical by default.
    Then once you've got the machine booting, use apt to install what you like.
    Perhaps a document I had was from a web site review of debian. When I get home I can try to find out where it is from (I have been told by GF I have to clean up my desk anyhow!)
    Thought about installing Gentoo?

if i dont get debian working by tonite i will be installing gentoo from stage 3 tomorrow. and thanks for the help. i have the computer booting now i jst need to get my network configured and the install x and then im done with debian. i will mess with it tonite.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!

debian x installation

I've installed debian 3.0 which i believe is the newest debian "woody" if im not mistaken. The x server does install during the installation you need to install xfree86 and then configure it. Though it has an older version of gnome and not the new one. No blue curve either. The install is semi hard but as we all know with linux read TFD and you can figure it out.

regards,

dexter

Just Joined!
    Yes, i installed Debian woody 3.0, on a i586 without much problem.
    The installation program is very primitive though, compared to other distros. The lack of a back button irritated me a bit, but, one can always just bail out of the install and run it again.

Deb will tend to leave the install choices up to the user, and tends to
    default to a console install rather than X. There is an initial selection choice, if i remember correctly, that covers broard catagories. Just make sure X is selected there.

I found Deb's site difficult to navigate at first, but the more i use it the easier it gets. The info is there and worth reading. Deb dosen't approach their 'distro' as a 'distro' as such. More of a Standardisation so the docs are neccessary to get an idea on where their coming from.

Deb will tend to split facillities into a number of sub packages.
    The idea being, to give the user the flexability to choose what they want and what they don't from a particular program collection. That's very much the case with X.

A great distro, but then, ain't they all .

jm

PS: I just heavily edited the above as it seemed to go off topic a lot.