Find the answer to your Linux question:
All, This is my first post to LinuxForums so hello all! I am an experienced Windows user/computer builder who loves the idea of running an open-source nix-based system. I've had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stop me from making an install mistake before I do...

All,

This is my first post to LinuxForums so hello all! I am an experienced Windows user/computer builder who loves the idea of running an open-source nix-based system. I've had some brief experiences with past versions of RH and have been playing with KNOPPIX and MORPHIX for the last few weeks. My wife is strictly a plug-and-play Windows user who loves to play with all my boxes. This means that I need to dual-boot if I want to install a permanent Linux OS on one of my computers.

I have already installed Win XP Home on the primary partition(10.9GB) of one of my boxes and would like to install RH 9.0 on the second partition (8.1GB). When Anaconda gets to the partitioning/file system setup (automatically partition) I choose "Keep all partitions and use existing free space." When I click "next", I receive the following error: "Boot partition /boot may not meet booting constraints for your architecture". I am making an assumption here that this error is caused by the fact that Linux cannot be installed to the primary partition with the MBR. Is this correct? Can I disregard this message and continue with the installation? How should I setup GRUB so that the system boots properly? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, you can disregard that message, I see it nearly every time i install.
    I think it has to do with being past a certain # of cylinders on the disk. Just make sure you install the bootloader to the mbr on /dev/hda and use grub (better than lilo imo).

as for partitioning, you have several options.

see my "how to partition" page on my guide link below.

Just Joined!
    yowwww,

Thanks for the reply! I found a reference stating that any partition past the 1024 cylinder boundry could be the cause for this error message. I will continue with the installation. The setup for GRUB shows dev/hda as the destination for the boot loader, but it does not specify MBR. After viewing the advanced config I can see that it specifies the MBR. I also renamed the primary partition from DOS to Win XP as seen by Linux. Installing now...hopefully all will go well! Thanks again...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    yes, it sounds like you are on the right track.

feel free to visit the links on my sig anytime you wish also.

Just Joined!
    So far so good...time to have some fun and continue my learning of Linux.

and...

and...