Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was running Windows XP, used partition magic to set up an extra partition and installed Xandros from a CD onto it. When i turn on the computer i get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't use Windows after installing Xandros

I was running Windows XP, used partition magic to set up an extra partition and installed Xandros from a CD onto it. When i turn on the computer i get a dual boot option screen with Xandros and Windows on it, but only Xandros works.

When I try to run Windows, it says it is missing the xmnt2002 and autochk, and then fails.

I went back to my WinXP CD to try and do a repair, and then repair install, but both times it says something about not being able to access a part of the disk!

If anyone can help me get my windows back I would appreciate it very much.
    Also, I don't want to lose the files I have on the windows partition.

If this question has already been answered, feel free to point me to another post, but I didn't have much luck googling "installed xandros" + can't + "windows XP" etc.

It probably has been answered, but I cant seem to find the links. The problem is that you used Partition Magic to resise an existing ntfs partition. The problem is that Windows has some unmoveable things scattered around the partition and When partition magic moves stuff around, windows loses track of where its stuff went. That is why you cant boot into windows anymore.

The Solution:
    1. You say Xandros works, good, boot into it, and use the cd/dvd burning software to backup all your data from the windows partition.
    2. Insert the Windows disk and proceed to do a clean install (do not choose repair or anything).
    3. When You get to teh part abou which partition to install windows to, delete all the partitions in that list (I think the button to press was 'L' or something).
    4. Create X gb (where X is a number < total disk capacity) partition for windows. The remainder should be left blank for Xandros. However you may feel free to allocate multiple partitions for windows if you feel like (e.g. c:\ and d:\ )
    5. Continue Installing windows
    6. Install Xandros to the empty part of the drive. DO NOT touch the windows part of the drive.

Note, following the above steps should get your system back, with your data intact on a cd or dvd. You also will not need to use partition magic. Also I would recommend you never use partition magic as it screws up pretty much everything, the best way to do a dual or multi boot is to start clean. Install windows and then install any linux distros.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Awesome. I didnt realize I had full access to all the files on the Windows partition while linux is running. Maybe I won't need to change anything. If I decide to reinstall later I will do it that way though. Thanks for the tips about avoiding partition magic, I didnt realize it was designed to be worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Jon5757
    Thanks for the tips about avoiding partition magic, I didnt realize it was designed to be worthless
    No problem, a lot of people dont realise this until they've tried it. Good luck in exporing the world of linux.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    There was a easy fix, and its changed your partition from hidden to unhidden, I had the same error, easy fix.