Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok here is my problem i have made it to the part where i untar the stage and im goin to use stage3 because the others would put my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing gentoo problems

ok here is my problem i have made it to the part where i untar the stage and im goin to use stage3 because the others would put my computer out of commission for to long. anyway back to the problem. i run the tar command:
    Code:
    tar -xvipf stage3-pentium3-1.4-20030726.tar.bz2
    and i get these errors:
    Code:
    tar: This does not look like a tar archive
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 header
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    does some one know what this error could be. this is the second tar.bz2 file i have tryed i tryed the one from the cd and then i downloaded one using wget and still nothing. thanks for the help
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    i get that option quite frequently as well. usually what I'll do is just take the long way and see if it works that way. ie ... bunzip2 the file, then thry to tar -xvf the file. usually i have found that i only get that file when i have an erroneous download. :-\ so i don't know why it would be off of an iso and have the same error, and usually i only get it with .tgz or .tar.gz

thats about all i can think of. sorry.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

thanks QD i tryed it that way and it worked. thanks again.

edit: anyone that uses gentoo and has installed it how long does it take to running
    Code:
    emerge sync
    to complete, i was jst curious thanks

well the min. i pressed submit on the edit it started to do something so im guessing its going to take awhile since it has to go thru 4000 programs that are on the tree thing
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So are your changing your laptop from xp/RH to xp/gentoo ?

Also is there no ISO file available for it?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

yes i am switching to gentoo from redhat on my laptop so i will switch my sig to say xp/gentoo now will do that right now.
    and there is and ISO and thats what im using but for gentoo there is not actual installer you have to do everything manually. but it seems pretty fun and now that im getting it down i think it will be pretty easy but then again i started at stage3 instead of stage1 where i would ahve to compile everything.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Sounds painful, hope it gets better. Sucks about the lack of a installer.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

i did it. Gentoo is installed and working on my laptop. all i have to do now is install GUI and im all done. this is the best day of my life. (kind of sad ) but still its pretty cool i got it working first try which i didnt think i would.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

The lack of an installer isn't really that much of a downfall. It's still easy to install, as long as you follow the guide that is on the gentoo website.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    It's by far the best distribution I have used.
    The lack of installer is nothing really. You follow a process rather than just clicking a button, it has to be this way because it is a source distribution.
    That being said, someone ( can't remember the link ) has created a script so you can pretty much do a script based install, which apparently is quite good.

Still, the install is nothing itself, it's the compile and downloading time that is unfortunate (at the start). But once it is installed, it is excellent.

Now, with the original tar problem, I believe with a bzip2 file, you should do something like:
    tar -xvfj bigfile.bz2
    I could be wrong, but sometimes I've used flags that are appropriate for gzip, not bzip. (tar -zxvf)

Re: installing gentoo problems

Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    Code:
    # tar -xvipf stage3-pentium3-1.4-20030726.tar.bz2
    ok i think i figured out this problem but it dont matter now cause i have gentoo installed, ok the command i was running is above and the one that i was suppose to be running was this
    Code:
    # tar -xvjpf stage3-pentium3-1.4-20030726.tar.bz2
    the i is suppose to be a j but i couldnt see that when reading the documentation so i ended up running this command

Code:
    # bunzip2 stage3-pentium3-1.4-20030726.tar.bz2
    # tar -xvipf stage3-pentium3-1.4-20030726.tar
    so hopefully i didnt mess anything up by using i instead of j but it seems to be running jst find so i think it worked out in the end.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast