Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have one set of old Fedora Core 3 ISO's that I burned a while back, and they have worked fine. But I have tried multiple times since to burn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora ISO CD boot problem

I have one set of old Fedora Core 3 ISO's that I burned a while back, and they have worked fine. But I have tried multiple times since to burn FC3, FC3_64, FC_4, and FC4_64 CDs, and none of them will boot on either of my Athlon 64 machines. Every other bootable CD stops at the right moment and boots just fine, but the Fedora Core CDs don't for some reason. I've seen this problem reported elsewhere, and they suggested using the Boot.ISO, so I tried that, and even that didn't boot! What can I do? I want to go to FC4_64!

Did you verify that the .iso's you downloaded were not coruppted by the download?

If not run (in linux) [code]md5sum /path/to/file.iso[c/code] and compare the output with the file.iso.md5 file on the mirror you downloaded, both should match.
    In windows, use a program like fsum, and run the downloaded files through that and compare the output with what's in the file.iso.md5 file.

If they are ok, you could try burning the disks at a lower speed like x4 and see if that works. And you are burning the cd's asa an image and not just copying the file to the cd?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

I did check in Linux, not in Windows

I checked with SHA1SUM in Linux, and all discs were fine. I tried discs in Windows and didn't know how to check. I recorded all discs at 4X. One concern with the Boot.ISO, was that the final disc showed a single file rather than multiple files, as I think it should have, though it was only 6666 kb.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hmm, you might want to look at booting via somthing like the bootdisk mentioned in this thead.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

Finally, bootable discs, made with K3b

I should have thought of it before, K3b makes excellent recordings, and it was very careful in reprodusing ISOs as well, checking the CheckSums, the data itself, etc., etc. The CDs booted up immediately in each of my 64-bit computers right away. I'm now try out Fedora Core 4_64 in one of them...but that's another story.

Oh, and thanks to the Gentoo site for the idea to try K3b...