Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
which lunix distribtions r compatable with NTFS partitions?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ntfs

which lunix distribtions r compatable with NTFS partitions?

Linux Guru
    All, more or less. Some ship with the NTFS module, and it can probably be downloaded or at least compiled from source for those that don't.
    However, NTFS support in linux really isn't complete. The filesystem is a Microsoft closed spec one, so everything has to be reverse-engineered. The entire driver has EXPERIMENTAL status in the kernel tree, but read support as said to work for most parts. Write support, on the other hand, has DANGEROUS status in the kernel tree, and does damage the file system. Most of the time, the damage is repairable, but that's not guaranteed.

Just Joined!
    so its safest to either change to fat or have no linux at all?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Why would you have to switch to fat32? If you need to write to your ntfs partition, I would just do it in windows and not linux. I dual booted on my laptop with rh and win2k. I didn't have any problems playing my mp3s from my ntfs partition in linux or playing rtcw.

Linux User
    why would you just not use fat32 for windows and be able to have access to the partition under linux also?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Well, say what you will, but as long as you're in windows, ntfs is the better filesystem. As long as you only need read access in linux, ntfs will do fine.

Linux User
    (you mean as long as you only need access in windows, or only read access in linux - your the most vocal of the anti-ntfs-write-with-linux movement )
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer
    fat32 clusters grow extremely large on hd sizes today. You will waste to much space as ntfs are set to 4KB no matter the size of hd.

Linux Guru
    Why would FAT32 clusters be large? It provides an addressing space for 4 billion clusters, so you'd need a 2TB+ hard drive for one cluster to have to span more than one sector. If they grow large, it has to be a design flaw (which, of course, wouldn't surprise me too much...)

Linux Engineer
    Maxium amount of clusters you can get on a fat32 fs is 268,435,456 so I think that sets the limit to 2TB for a fat32 partition. Anyway fat32 increases cluster size as the hd grows in GB. CHeck out this table:

Cluster(KB) Size Min part size(GB) Max Part Size(GB)
    4 0.5 8
    8 8 16
    16 16 32
    32 32 2000

Also fat32 must increase the cluster size to keep the size of the FAT down. MS doesn't let the FAT grow larger then 8MB.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast