Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have tried installing Ubuntu and the installation menu doesnt load up. I get the main page and i press enter like it says it restarts and goes to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar

HELP!!

I have tried installing Ubuntu and the installation menu doesnt load up. I get the main page and i press enter like it says it restarts and goes to the same page. I have tried ejecting the disk when it boots back up and it still doesnt work. I have a new windows xp HP computer. I have also tried installing Fedora Core 3 and 4 and it does the same thing. At the linuxforums.org someone suggested burning the iso at a slower speed and still i got the same thing.

Some system specs might help us know what is wrong. Do you use SCSI drives or SATA or someting else? You might need to change some options at the "boot:" prompt and not just press Enter.

Do you use SCSI drives or SATA or someting else?
    Im not sure what this is. What options might i have to change and how do i do that

Examples of boot paraeters can be found here:
    http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubunt...installer-args
    but there are more that can be passed to the kernel so that it skips the probe for some devices.
    If you have windows, boot windows and install and run SiSoftware Sandra or some program like that and post your hardware configuration.

i dont mean to be rude but if you are going to help me you need to go through slowly using words that a newbie would know. I have no clue wtf a boot paraeter is.

Linux Engineer
    well when you boot from the install disk you can pass additional options to the boot sequance, these are boot parameters. For example at the prompt before autoboot you can type in the parameters, for example if you freeze up during hotplug sequencing you can type "nohotplug"

these parameters are important depending on the specs of your system...ata and scsi need parameters in many cases.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Is there any other programs besides SiSoftware Sandra that i can use to get the system specs so u guys can help me more?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by crashandburn0420
    Is there any other programs besides SiSoftware Sandra that i can use to get the system specs so u guys can help me more?
    well, you could look at the documentation that came with either the computer or its parts...or you could pop open the case and take a look.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    I am having exactly the same problem!

I'm running a Compaq Pressario 2.5GHz Celeron w/ 512 SDRAM, Intel 82845G Chipset & Video Card, Realtek AC'97 Sound Card

I ran into the same problem with both Mandrake and Fedora.

Maybe Linux doesn't like HP

I have a 340 Intel Celeron D Processor, 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, 80 GB 7200 RPM Ultra DMA Hard Drive, 2.93 GHz, 256 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz Front side bus. Idont know what else i have thats just a sticker on the front of the computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast