Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am pretty much fed up with micro$oft and have very recently discovered linux. Thought that it would be the way to go IF I could figure out what in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie having trouble with an alinux iso

I am pretty much fed up with micro$oft and have very recently discovered linux. Thought that it would be the way to go IF I could figure out what in the heck i am supose to do to install it.

I have an old 40gig hd layin around that i would like to install alinux on. I have an iso I downloaded from the site and dont now what to do next. Now i realize i shoulda looked into this a lil more before hand.

If anyone could assist me in my departcher from windows it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

oh yea, ill also need to configure a double boot system since i am not the computers only user, tips on this would be great too! Thanks agian

OK, firstly, u need to burn the ISO to a cd.

but make SURE you burn it as an IMAGE, not as a data cd. (data cd being where u drop the iso onto the cd.

once this is done reboot, and boot off the CD.

i have never used alinux, but i guess the install procedure will be fairly self explanitory, but in order to get a dual-boot (if the installer is any good) it will configure that for u anyway
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I did try to burn it as a data cd already...about 3 times..nice to know what i was doin wrong though.

ill try with nero and see if i can get it to work THANKS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok turns out i cannot burn the iso using nero so i tried cdburnerxp pro 3 but didnt really understand what had to do. i did burn a cd with it and when i rebooted it tried to run but came up with a weird error .

so if anyone could give me some instructions on burning an iso that i can boot please help! im startin to get fed up with my linux attempts, ive wasted like 6 cds and switched hard drives like 10 times

help is greatly appreciated.....sorry being such a big fat NOOB

Why couldn't you burn it using Nero? There was an option to create a disk from a disk image on the initial screen last time I used Nero (been a while, though). This site may help: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    i wish i could burn an iso using nero it would be much simpler. i downloaded the tool that Flatline gave me the link to, i will say that is a easy to use program and it did burn the iso. and when i rebooted the computer recognized the disc as linux and then when i thought things were lookin good i get yet another error. this time it is called, DISK ERROR 32, but thats all the information the system gave me.

AGIAN, thanks to anyone that can help, i really want to be able to run linux on my system, even though it will be dual boot. thank you

Just Joined!

Just use Alcohol 120%

Dude, Just use Alcohol 120% it's the most user friendly ISO burning program around. Just search of Google- Alcohol 120% download. Good Luck. I need help with Linux also, so if someone that is good with it help me it would be greatly appreciated. I already made a topic for that.

Just Joined!

Sateira

I really enjoyed using Sateira CD/DVD burning program. I used roxio for long time but Sateira is much better and easier to use. Download 7 day trial version at www.downloads.com

I hope we can get back to instaling aLinux topic

i use Nero and all i have to do is click on the iso file (go to my computer then c: (wherever you have it stored) and click the file and it will ask you which program to open it with. select nero and it should automatically do it. you may need to finalize the cd in order for it to work. it should be just a box you select.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Linux Enthusiast
    On nero, go to file, then burn image, thats all you need to do.