Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

noob linux user needs help

I have configured a dual boot system using Windows XP and Red Hat 7.2,
    and am having problems with Linux drivers for my Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 and Mag Innovision LCD monitor. When I installed Red Hat and it came to the X configuration, I could'nt find my graphics card or monitor listed. I chose the Geforce DDR (generic) and left the monitor choice alone. I let the system reboot and now when Linux loads I don't get the graphical login. When I try using startx I get a huge error message basically saying that there isn'nt a graphics card. Should I have skipped the X configuration?
    I downloaded driver files from Nvidia the first is NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm, the second is NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm. Are these the correct files? I can't connect to the internet through Linux, so I have been downloading the files through XP and burning them on to CD. Can this be done? If so how do I install the drivers? Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    I suggest installing redhat 8.0 since it would have much more current drivers then 7.2.

Linux Guru
    RedHat 8 is required to use nVidia's drivers, though. As long as you have XFree86 v4, you're okay. RedHat 7.2 has that.
    On nVidia's driver page for linux, there is a very good installation guide in PDF format. I suggest that you read it, and print the pages of interest.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

never mind

I am glad to report that I figured out why I could'nt install my card. It seems I made a noob mistake of not installing the kernel development and software development packages . I re installed RH and made sure to install those two packages. I then installed the drivers with minimal fuss.
    I do want to thank genlee and Dolda2000 for their suggestions.

(by the way) I downloaded Red Hat 8.0 from
    ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/r...yche-i386-disc 1.iso
    I downloaded all 5 discs. When I tried to use them, disc one would not boot. Is there a file that I am missing?

never mind

I am glad to report that I figured out why I could'nt install my card. It seems I made a noob mistake of not installing the kernel development and software development packages . I re installed RH and made sure to install those two packages. I then installed the drivers with minimal fuss.
    I do want to thank genlee and Dolda2000 for their suggestions.

(by the way) I downloaded Red Hat 8.0 from
    ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/r...i386-disc1.iso
    I downloaded all 5 discs. When I tried to use them, disc one would not boot. Is there a file that I am missing?

Linux Engineer
    Check the md5sum on the first iso. Could be a bad image. Anyway you only need the first 3 cds. The last 2 just have source on them.