Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have configured a dual boot system using Windows XP and Red Hat 7.2, and am having problems with Linux drivers for my Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 and Mag Innovision LCD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

noob linux user needs help

I have configured a dual boot system using Windows XP and Red Hat 7.2,
    and am having problems with Linux drivers for my Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 and Mag Innovision LCD monitor. When I installed Red Hat and it came to the X configuration, I could'nt find my graphics card or monitor listed. I chose the Geforce DDR (generic) and left the monitor choice alone. I let the system reboot and now when Linux loads I don't get the graphical login. When I try using startx I get a huge error message basically saying that there isn'nt a graphics card. Should I have skipped the X configuration?
    I downloaded driver files from Nvidia the first is NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm, the second is NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm. Are these the correct files? I can't connect to the internet through Linux, so I have been downloading the files through XP and burning them on to CD. Can this be done? If so how do I install the drivers? Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    I suggest installing redhat 8.0 since it would have much more current drivers then 7.2.

Linux Guru
    RedHat 8 is required to use nVidia's drivers, though. As long as you have XFree86 v4, you're okay. RedHat 7.2 has that.
    On nVidia's driver page for linux, there is a very good installation guide in PDF format. I suggest that you read it, and print the pages of interest.

Just Joined!

never mind

I am glad to report that I figured out why I could'nt install my card. It seems I made a noob mistake of not installing the kernel development and software development packages . I re installed RH and made sure to install those two packages. I then installed the drivers with minimal fuss.
    I do want to thank genlee and Dolda2000 for their suggestions.

(by the way) I downloaded Red Hat 8.0 from
    ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/r...yche-i386-disc 1.iso
    I downloaded all 5 discs. When I tried to use them, disc one would not boot. Is there a file that I am missing?

Just Joined!

never mind

I am glad to report that I figured out why I could'nt install my card. It seems I made a noob mistake of not installing the kernel development and software development packages . I re installed RH and made sure to install those two packages. I then installed the drivers with minimal fuss.
    I do want to thank genlee and Dolda2000 for their suggestions.

(by the way) I downloaded Red Hat 8.0 from
    ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/r...i386-disc1.iso
    I downloaded all 5 discs. When I tried to use them, disc one would not boot. Is there a file that I am missing?

Linux Engineer
    Check the md5sum on the first iso. Could be a bad image. Anyway you only need the first 3 cds. The last 2 just have source on them.