Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Just recently had to wipe out my HD due to a nasty nasty worm that wouldn't go after editing the registry, etc. Anyways, I reinstalled WIndows XP Home and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux Fedora Core 4 on Windows XP Home?? How-HELP?

Hello,

Just recently had to wipe out my HD due to a nasty nasty worm that wouldn't go after editing the registry, etc. Anyways, I reinstalled WIndows XP Home and I have Linux Fed. Core 4 now and wanted to install that...I tried booting from the 1st CD and it started installing stuff but then just stopped , I let it got for another 5 mins it didn't move. Could someone help me in, installing this OS on the other partition (I made 2, 1 for Windows, 1 for Linux). Help Please. Thank you all!

Did you run the media check before installing from the disk? Fedora asks you whether you want to check your media, and it's a good idea to go through with it, even though it does take a while.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    No, haven't heard of that. I'm a newbie to all this Linux stuff. Could someone just give me what to do??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When you boot from the first install disk, before you get to the "pretty" graphical installer, there is a DOS-like screen which asks whether you want to test your media or simply continue with the installation. Most people skip the disk check, but in your case since the install errored out you should boot from the CD and allow the media check to be run.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Ok, How do i do that? Make it check for the media check?

It is the first thing it asks you when you boot from the CD.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I installed Linux on my computer and it installed correctly. But now, when I start it up it automatically goes to Linux, haven't seen Windows in awhile! AHHHH
    And I chose to partition it manually when i installed it to the partition I made for Linux. Is there anyway to choose which OS to choose when it starts up and is there anyway to make sure windows wasn't totally wiped out???? Thanks, Im such a noob lol.

If you open a terminal and (as root) type
    Code:
    /sbin/fdisk -l
    and post the output, along with the output from
    Code:
    df -hT
    we can perhaps see whether you accidentally nuked your Windows partition. If you didn't, we can modify grub to allow a dual-boot configuration relatively easily.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Does FC4 have the same bug as FC2?

There is a known bug in Fedora 2 when trying to install Grub bootloader and subsequently attempting to boot XP. This occurs when Windows XP is used to partition and format the primary hard drive in an NTFS format and uses CHS instead of LBA.

The error returned when attempting to boot XP from Grub is:
    Rootnoverify(hd0,0)
    Chainloader +1

Does anyone know if this same bug exists in FC4, or if it has been corrected? I can't seem to find any mention of this bug in conjunction with FC4 anywhere on the web.

Thanks.