Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running ext3 linux redhat 9.0.. I know that you can do disk quota on file system ext2. Can you also do on ext3? If ext3 won't allow, how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk quota

I'm running ext3 linux redhat 9.0.. I know that you can do disk quota on file system ext2. Can you also do on ext3?

If ext3 won't allow, how do I convert ext3 to ext2.. without losing data and configuration?

Thanks.

Im sure you have to recompile your kernel. And read this -> http://docs.rinet.ru:8083/LiSys/lsg21.htm

You can't convert the partition from ext3 to ext2 without losing the data on it, so if you have to do that, make sure to image that partition so that you can restore it later. I'm not sure on the quota with ext3, but I'm pretty sure you can since it is based on ext2.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    all EXT 3 is (correct me if I'm wrong) is EXT2 with journeling support. Turn off journeling and the partition is read as an EXT2 filesystem.

Q: How do I convert my ext3 partition back to ext2?
    Actually there is only little need to do so, because in most cases it is sufficient to mount the partition explicitely as ext2. But if you really need to convert your partion back to ext2 just do the following on an unmounted partition:

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdaX

To be on the safe side you should force a fsck run on this partition afterwards:

fsck.ext2 -f /dev/hdaX

After this procedure you can safely delete the .journal file if there was any.
    From -> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/proj.../ext3-faq.html