Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
The "main" one? Do you mean the first partition? If I assume that your hard drive is hde, and your root partition is the first partition on the drive, ie. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The "main" one? Do you mean the first partition?
    If I assume that your hard drive is hde, and your root partition is the first partition on the drive, ie. hde1, try adding this option to LILO's command line:
    Code:
    root=2101
    To alter the command line, press Ctrl+X at LILO's graphical prompt. Then type the name of the boot selection name (press tab to see a list of choices), then add a space and the option at the end. Thus, if your boot selection name is "linux", you should, all in all, type "linux root=2101".

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    The "main" one? Do you mean the first partition?
    If I assume that your hard drive is hde, and your root partition is the first partition on the drive, ie. hde1, try adding this option to LILO's command line:
    Code:
    root=2101
    To alter the command line, press Ctrl+X at LILO's graphical prompt. Then type the name of the boot selection name (press tab to see a list of choices), then add a space and the option at the end. Thus, if your boot selection name is "linux", you should, all in all, type "linux root=2101".
    thanx, lemme try it, i'll report back

Just Joined!
    you sir, are a genius!

here, have a cookie
    *hands over a cookie

now, how do I configure it so that it will automatically boot-up from hde?

EDIT: UH-OH. Looks like it isnt over yet...it makes me log in text mode, then gives me the normal [NAME@home]-deally. When I type:
    Code:
    startx
    it goes through a screen of coding and says:
    Code:
    Fatal Servers Error:
    No Screens Found
    then some more text, then:
    Code:
    XIO: Fatal IO 104 (connection reset by peer) on X Server ":0.0"

Linux Guru
    Mmm... that's a nice cookie. It had all the taste of MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 while keeping away the bitter taste of HTTP/1.0. Just the way my mom makes 'em. Har har har... laying on a thick layer of nerd humor here... =)
    To make it boot from hde every time, edit /etc/lilo.conf, edit the current root line for linux to read root=2101, save, and run /sbin/lilo for the shell.

Anyway, that X server problem is most likely due to the fact that it is configured to use the video card in the computer in which you had the hard drive when you installed it. What video card do you have in this one?

Just Joined!
    Mmm... that's a nice cookie. It had all the taste of MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 while keeping away the bitter taste of HTTP/1.0. Just the way my mom makes 'em. Har har har... laying on a thick layer of nerd humor here... =)
    To make it boot from hde every time, edit /etc/lilo.conf, edit the current root line for linux to read root=2101, save, and run /sbin/lilo for the shell.

Anyway, that X server problem is most likely due to the fact that it is configured to use the video card in the computer in which you had the hard drive when you installed it. What video card do you have in this one?
    it reconfigured the vid card using KudZo

Linux Guru
    What do you mean? Did that fix it?

Just Joined!
    What do you mean? Did that fix it?

*sigh

no, it didnt

and when I log in as root, and i go to the /etc/lilo.conf folder, it denies me permission to open it.

Linux User
    i think another question here would be: what is a 2101 anyway?

before i changed my loader to grub, root = name of HD and partition where your linux is on, in lilo? same with grub.

hope you guys don't get tired of noob questions! hehehe....

Linux User
    ... and no, i never had much trouble transferring my linux drive from one box to another. i had to install linux and copy some files, so i HD 2 HD it, with linux as OS. it detected the hardware and prompted me if i should keep the previous hardware settings or not. luckily i didn't get into some incompatibility issues. hehehe....

are there some issues in doing this? would linux go "crazy" if one does this often? i have a similar problem, but with my floppy drive instead.

Linux Engineer
    when u log in text mode type as root: X --configure (or maybe 1 dash i dont remember) now feed it all the info about ur display setup

it will deny permission because its not a directory. type "vi /etc/lilo.conf"

press i to go to text entry mode.

edit the file

press esc when u finished.

press :wq to save and exit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast