Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by Hellmasker when u log in text mode type as root: X --configure (or maybe 1 dash i dont remember) now feed it all the info about ur ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmasker
    when u log in text mode type as root: X --configure (or maybe 1 dash i dont remember) now feed it all the info about ur display setup

it will deny permission because its not a directory. type "vi /etc/lilo.conf"

press i to go to text entry mode.

edit the file

press esc when u finished.

press :wq to save and exit.

thanx, i'll do that tonight!

you guys have been great, thanx for the help!

cookies for all!

Linux Engineer
    one mroe thing... u have to run /sbin/lilo (just by typing exactly that into a terminal) to get it to update ur config based on the lilo.conf file

Linux Guru
    And, remember that you have to be root to edit /etc/lilo.conf.

2101 is the device number for hde1 in hexadecimal. Run "ls -l /dev/hde1", and you'll see 33, 1 before the modification time. 33 in hexadecimal is 21, and 1 is 01 if you pad it with a zero. Together, it is 2101.
    Passingt root=hde1 is more or less a hack, and I often try to stay away from it.

If you know what settings to change for new hardware, then there's nothing wrong with moving the HD from one machine to another.

Just Joined!
    changing lilo.conf worked, but configuring X doesnt, when I type in X -Configure, it gives me a list of commands...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    If you know what settings to change for new hardware, then there's nothing wrong with moving the HD from one machine to another.
    I found that out the hard way.

Linux User
    oh, i had an inkling it would be something like that hex thing. kewl! like changing owner/s of a file or something else but not using rwx, but 4, 2, 1 instead!

thanks for that info guys. it's good hanging out here. i get to learn many things each day!

do i get a cookie too rayman?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by xylex_blaiste
    oh, i had an inkling it would be something like that hex thing. kewl! like changing owner/s of a file or something else but not using rwx, but 4, 2, 1 instead!

thanks for that info guys. it's good hanging out here. i get to learn many things each day!

do i get a cookie too rayman?
    oops did i not give you one? sorry.

hands xylex_blaiste a cookie.

Linux Guru
    It should be "X -configure", not "X -Configure".

By the way, xylex, when you give a numeric mode, it's not in hexadecimal, but octal. Octal format yields three bits per digit, which exactly corresponds to the number of permissions that can be set.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    It should be "X -configure", not "X -Configure".

By the way, xylex, when you give a numeric mode, it's not in hexadecimal, but octal. Octal format yields three bits per digit, which exactly corresponds to the number of permissions that can be set.

aright, I type in "X -configure", and it gives me some options such as "ati, vga" etc...what should I do now? I know how to get into the config files, but after that, I dont know what to do.

Linux Guru
    Does X -configure give you options? That's new... What does it say, exactly?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast