Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I installed Linux on a harddrive, using another system, then I moved the hdd to an old BP6. On boot-up, everything seemed fine until: "Kernel Panic: No INIT Found. Try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux boot-up is giving me problems...

I installed Linux on a harddrive, using another system, then I moved the hdd to an old BP6. On boot-up, everything seemed fine until:
    "Kernel Panic: No INIT Found. Try Passing INIT= Option to Kernel."

How do I fix that? For some reason my BP6 wont Boot from CD (even if I set it to boot from CD first). Linux assigned the CD-ROM the address of "hge", so once I am in Linux, it should be easy to access.

Linux Engineer
    Er.. from what I know, init has to be the first process. Without it, Linux can't load. What the heck did you do to it? Exactly what happens when you run. I'm guessing that you should be able to type in a number for init if it's not specified in /etc/inittab. If you can type in something, try typing in 5.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    yeah, i think i ****ed up

I installed Red Hat 7.3 on another computer. I then moved the Hard Drive to my BP6. I installed it on the other computer because my BP6 wont read my CD-ROM for the life of me. It detects it, but I cant boot off of a Linux CD or access it in Windows or what not.

Anywho, when I moved the hdd, it gave me this error. I cant type anything after this, because it is virtually frozen.

Damn, I ****ed up big time, didnt I?

EDIT: Another thing to note is when I installed it, the hdd was recognized as "hdc", now it is recognized as "hde" and/or "hdg"

Linux User
    I don't think it would work unless both computers had the same hardware. It was built on one computer with different hardware, that's why you're having problems. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

Linux Engineer
    ok as far as i can tell the problem is reasonably simple to fix... u need yto fidn where it passes the kernel the name of the drive to boot from (probably /etc/lilo.conf or wherever grub puts its config files) and change this from hdc or hdc1 to whatever the other comp detects it as. (eg hde1)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmasker
    ok as far as i can tell the problem is reasonably simple to fix... u need yto fidn where it passes the kernel the name of the drive to boot from (probably /etc/lilo.conf or wherever grub puts its config files) and change this from hdc or hdc1 to whatever the other comp detects it as. (eg hde1)

thats the problem...i CANT get into Linux to change it, but I am a Linux-n00b, so is there a way to change it?

Linux Guru
    What boot loader are you using? Both GRUB and LILO allow for customizing the kernel command line, but they do it in different ways.

What's a BP6, btw.?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    What boot loader are you using? Both GRUB and LILO allow for customizing the kernel command line, but they do it in different ways.

What's a BP6, btw.?

I'm using LILO

The BP6 is a motherboard made my ABit. It is a dual processor Celeron mobo. Mine have 2 400mhz Celerons.

Linux Guru
    What place did you install the hard drive on on this mobo? I saw in your previous post that it was recognized as hde OR hdg. Do you know which one?
    Also, what partition on the HDD is the root partition?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    What place did you install the hard drive on on this mobo? I saw in your previous post that it was recognized as hde OR hdg. Do you know which one?
    Also, what partition on the HDD is the root partition?

i can choose one, the primary channel gives me hde, the secondary channel gives me hdg

the root partition is the main one. The whole HDD is dedicated to Linux

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast