Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Wait, so I have WINE already installed? It came with Mandrake or something? Could of sworn I had to download it. So, by that logic, I can run CS without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Oki
    Just Joined!

Wait, so I have WINE already installed? It came with Mandrake or something? Could of sworn I had to download it. So, by that logic, I can run CS without a hitch?

Also, what's a lib?

Linux Engineer
    Check if you have wine installed by
    Code:
    which wine
    If this gives you a full path to wine, it means that you have it installed. If it gives you no message at all, it means that it is not installed. If you do have it, then installing CS shouldn't be much of a problem. This is something that I might do and see how it runs on Linux.
    As for switching over to Suse or Red Hat, I'd recommend sticking with Mandrake for at least a month to see how you like it. The next logical way to go would be a harder distro like Suse. Red Hat is still one of the easiest distros to maintain in my opinion. However, that doesn't make it a bad distro.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer

.tgz or .tar.gz

Any files ending in .tgz or .tar.gz are the same. It just means that it was compressed using tar first then gzip. Both are a form of compression. So why bother with two compressing programs? gzip does not handle directories. On the other hand, tar can. Hence you use tar first then gzip the tarred file. These days, tar usually has an option to compress with gzip so there's no need for the extra step. You can now run something like
    Code:
    tar -cvzf file.tgz mydirectory
    to tar and gzip at the same time.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    Unfortunately I am at shcool, ergo I can't check to see if I have WINE or not. People are all up in my grill at the moment. So tar can handle directories, but gzip can handle only files?

Linux Engineer
    I believe tar can handle both files and directories. gzip can only handle files.

Linux Guru
    Taw can handle virtually everything. However, it doesn't compress. It's just an archiving tool, for saving the directory structure, access mode, times, device numbers, etc., etc. That why you do it that way. First you archive the whole thing with tar (which stands for Tape ARchive, btw.), and then you compress it using gzip.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    Ah, most excellent, thank you all. I have another problem. For the life of me, I can't seem to install anything. At the moment I am trying to install WINE, which is an RPM. I went through the process. it told me the signature was wrong, but that was fine, and it seemed to install fine, no errors. But where the heck is...WINE at?! I can't find the files at all. Any idea?

Linux Guru
    You should probably read this old post:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=1212

I've actually referred to it so many times now that I've learned the topic number.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    Oh wow; that is so helpful. I now know how to successfully install a .rpm. I think so, at least. WINE is downloading, and we will see. More to come...

Oki
    Just Joined!
    Ok! New problem, I finally got a little farther. I am running GNOME and this is what I get when I type...

Code:
    rpm -i wine-20030813-mdk9.1.i586.rpm

error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    Wha?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast