Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
and i belive lib files are library files similar to winblows DLL files they contain the subfunctions that a main program calls from...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

and i belive lib files are library files similar to winblows DLL files they contain the subfunctions that a main program calls from

Linux Engineer
    Are you executing the rpm-command as root??
    Regards

Andutt

Oki
    Just Joined!
    No, I am not logged in as root before I try to run the .rpm. Do I need to

Code:
    su root
    before I use the .rpm?

Linux Guru
    You don't need to type "su root"; just "su" will do fine. Without arguments, "root" is implied.

Btw., lib stands for library, and in terms of files it can be several. Strictly speaking, it is a file that contains a set of utility subroutines used when programming. These are most commonly distributed in .a (object Archive) files and .so (Shared Object) files, the former being for static linking into the program executable and the latter for dynamic linking at runtime. In that way, .so files are the UNIX counterpart for Windows DLLs. Technically, subroutines could be distributed in .o (relocateable Object) files, but since a library most often contains several relocateable objects, they are often archive in one .a file, unless a .so file is made of them. .so files are also referred to as shared libraries.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    So I do need to
    Code:
    su
    before I install the .rpm?

I thought Linux was open source. Why does SuSE cost money?

Linux Engineer
    Some distros charge money. Suse is one of them and I believe you pay for money if you want Red Hat Pro.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    Its up to the software makers to charge you :\

Linux Guru
    The difference between the RedHat that you download and RedHat Pro is that you get printed manuals and support with Redhat Pro; that's why it costs.

SuSE is doing strange things, I think. I think that their yast program is kind of proprietary or something. That's one reason that I don't use SuSE.

And, yes, you do need to run su to install an RPM. Installations always have to be carried out as root, since they have to write to directories to which only root have permission to.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    Wow; I can't thank you all enough. You have taught me mad stuff! More to come, doubtless, but ty to everyone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3