Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am fresh out of Windows 2k and I want to get into Linux. I have installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on a partition I made on my hard drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Oki
    Just Joined!

New from Windows, and horribly confused

I am fresh out of Windows 2k and I want to get into Linux. I have installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on a partition I made on my hard drive. I have SEVERAL questions about this OS.

1) When I log in as root, the background is red in KDE, and it says something to the effect of "Hey, you are logged in as root, this could be awful, might go around screwing things up and all..." And there is NOTHING on my "desktop" (is that what it's called in Linux? Sorry for the Windowisms)...is this normal?

2) I want to install display drivers for my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP. When I download the drivers from ATI, the XFree 4.2 version, and try to run it, I get this message:

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (13 MB):
    fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586

Is this OK?

(I press OK)

It then says:
    The signature of the package "fglrx-glc222-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586.rpm" is not correct:

No GPG signature in package

Do you want to install it anyway?

Yes/Yes to all/No

(I click yes)

Then I get the error:

There was an error during packages installation:

Problems occured during installation:
    file/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc-4.2.0-2.5.1 conflicts with file from package XFree86-libs- 4.3-5mdk

Then I get the error:

Installation failed

I thought logging in as root would fix this error, but apparently not. All I wanna do is get to fraggin' on some HL servers!

3) When I navigate to my /mnt/win_e folder, and locate some stuff on my Windows partitions, and try to start some .exes, like f@h, I get errors saying that Nautilus cannot find a viewer for the file.

More to come, probably, as I am a dunce...but I am cold loving Linux right now!

Linux Engineer
    1. Do not log in as root. You can do a lot of damage as the warning suggest. Instead, log in as a normal user then if you need to do any admin stuff, become user by using the command 'su'

2. I'm skipping this since I don't have the knowledge to answer this question.

3. Are you in KDE or Gnome? Nautilus is used by Gnome. Anyhow, you do realize that any file with the extension .exe are excutable programs? You can't run them because you are now in Linux. Linux will not recognize Windows executable files. It's like apples and oranges.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    1) like bpark says, u shouldn't really be using a root login.

2) first problem is that u downloaded the wrong files. note XFree4.2..... and it says compatibility problems with ur installed XFree4.3.

I know those are the only ones on the ati site. Ati doesnt seem to care about linux users and hasnt updated those drivers in like a year. http://www.schneider-digital.de/down...linux_X4.3.zip This is the driver for all radeon 8000 and above cards for XFree 4.3.

u cant install it from a nautilus window because it needs the --force command to overwrite the default xfree opengl driver.

the signature problem is a bug in the mandrake rpm program. ignore it.

to install the file go to a terminal
    change to root by typing su
    type
    Code:
    cd /path/to/downloaded/file/
    unzip glx1_linux_X4.3.zip
    cd X4.3....(unzipped directory)
    rpm -Uivh fglrx....(rest of rpm filename)
    now it will probably say somethign about libGL.so.1.2 not being able to be overwritten or somethign similar.
    as long as this is the ONLY error (apart from the signature failure) type
    Code:
    rpm --force -Uivh fglrx...(rest of filename)
    follow and instruction it gives u on screen about making modules etc. its pretty straight forward.

3) linux does not run windows execurables by clickign on them. IF u have wine or winex install (check by typing "rpm -qa|grep -i wine" at a terminal) u can start soem windoze programs by typing wine /mnt/windozepartition/pathtogame/game.exe

Oki
    Just Joined!
    Aha, most excellent, thank you all very much. No more logging in as root for moi. Yeah, I do need to get WINE, apparently that's how to play CS on Linux. Does nVidia care any more about Linux users than ATI does? I'll have to use the 8000 drivers in any case methinks. Any word on if and when ATI will release drivers for mah card?

New queries:

If I use Partition Magic in Win2k to create a Linux swap, how will I tell Linux where the swap is?

I know that GAIM comes with Mandrake Linux 9.1, but I am used to starting it from my win_e directory. When I double click on the .exe, it doesn't work, and I understand that now, but when I run gaim.exe from the terminal, it popus up just fine. Why is this?

Also, if I want to start a program via the terminal, but I want to avoid the excessive typing that incurs, is there some way I can create a script or something that will start it automatically, or would it be easier to create a link to the 'desktop'?

When I installed Mandrake Linux 9.1, and got to the point before bootloader is loaded and configured, where you add users, I chose to leave all the spaces blank and clicked "next" in efforts to aoid creating any user profiles, (because I am the only person who uses the computer), it freezes. Is this my fault, or a bug in programming, or what?

What is Gentoo, grub, and Redhat?

Sometimes when I start m machine, after it runs POST, I get a screen slowly being filled with L 99 99 99 99 99 over and over and over again. It stops eventually, but it commences to freeze afterwards. My friend who installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 had the same issue I did. Wtf?

Linux Engineer
    1. As far as I've heard, Nvidia has better support in Linux. I really wanted to get the ATI Radeon card from Crucial but withouth support, I'd rather be safe and go with the Nvidia cards.

2. Once you create the Linux swap, it needs to be mounted. Usually, you can do such thing by putting them inside /etc/fstab. If your swap was the 2nd partition on your first IDE drive, then this is what it would look like:
    Code:
    /dev/hda2    swap    swap    defaults  0  0
    3. Gaim from the Windows partition... that's a little weird. Can you right click that exe icon and try to see if there is an option to [b]run[b/] it?

4. Depending on what you want to do, you can either create a script or use it as a desktop link. The first case will depend on which shell you are using

5. a. Gentoo - a distribution of Linux such as Red Hat, Mandrake, and Debian which is gaining it's audience
    b. GRUB - GRand Unified Bootloader. It's a bootloader that pretty much replaces LILO (another bootloader)
    c. Red Hat - the most popular distribution of Linux.

The last problem you state is something that I don't understand so I cannot answer it. Hopefully, someone else will be able to do that.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    So it would be...

Code:
    /dev/hda9    swap    swap    defaults  0  0
    If my swap will be on I: drive.

Linux Engineer
    How many partitions do you have on /dev/hda ?

Linux Guru
    To check what partitions you have and what type they are of, run "fdisk -l /dev/hda". That has to be run as root, in case you're wondering.

I agree with bpark that gaim from the Windows partition sounds strange. Are you actually running the command as "gaim.exe", or just "gaim"? If you're running it as "gaim", then it's simply starting your Linux copy of gaim; that's why it works if that's the case.

A simple way to create a small "script" is to create an alias. Since almost all distributions use the bash shell, I assume that you do so too. To alias, for example, "ls -latr" to "lt" (ie. so that you just have to type lt to run "ls -latr", to list all files in reverse order sorted by time in long format), type this:
    Code:
    alias lt="ls -latr"
    To learn more about bash, see http://www.linuxcommand.org/.

The freeze in Mandrake's installation program that you mentioned is most likely a bug. In any case, you're supposed to create an account for yourself instead of logging in as root (which can be very dangerous, like the previous two have mentioned), so in that way there is no harm done. Admittedly, it's not very pretty, though. On the other hand, I've never had much faith in Mandrake.

That "L 99 99" that you're referring to seems like a BIOS fault or something. It's LILO's way of telling you that the BIOS is returning errors while it's trying to load the second stage boot loader off the hard drive. There is a very simple solution to this: use GRUB instead of LILO. GRUB is much better anyway.

Oki
    Just Joined!
    I will answer the other questions later, 'cause I just got home and I have about an hour of consciousness left, and I want to mess with Linux all I can before I go to sleep. I want to download WINE so I can play CS, and what I need to know is...what is the difference between a .rpm and a .tgz? Which do I need?

If I download a program such as Folding@Home for Linux, which would be a good directory to save the program to? Or would it be better to make my own folder? Also, is there a "add/delete programs" type thing for Linux?

Also, I am pretty sure I am running LILO, and it seems that more peeps like GRUB. Where can I download this at, or do I already have it and need to change to it?

Also, once I get going and know my way around Linux, should I change to SuSE or Redhat or something? I get the impression that Mandrake is for noobs, which I am but I am looking towards the future and all

Linux Engineer
    the reason gaim works from the terminal is that u have wine installed by default, adn programs run from the terminal will be detected as windoze exes at run in wine. double cliking does not do this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast