Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wanting to completely do away with WinXp and run strictly RedHat 7.2. The only thing is that I am very fluent in any Windows OS and fair in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New installation/Dual Boot with XP

I am wanting to completely do away with WinXp and run strictly RedHat 7.2. The only thing is that I am very fluent in any Windows OS and fair in Linux. I want to know if there is anything about Linux that I might need to be wary about other than having compatible hardware when I install Linux. I also want to know if it would be better to dual boot until I get more fluent with the OS or just jump right in and go with a full install of RedHat 7.2 ? I really like Linux and don't want to dampen my high views and expectations about the OS by doing a complete install and not having it go smoothly. I know that there will be problems, but I want to try to avoid any at the beginning. (At least until I am able to move around better in the OS) I would appreciate any pertinent information that could prevent and big problems and also any words of wisdom or words of caution that anyone might have about this issue.

Thanks

Just Joined!

New installation/Dual Boot with XP

I am also wanting to run a PHP server to code web pages. The server would be much more stable on Linux than XP.

Linux Engineer
    There are newer versions of rh. Anyway I recommend installing over xp. Best way to learn since you are forced to use linux everytime you are on the computer. That is how I learned, got my slack 3.0 cds and installed overtop of windows. Since then, I haven't gone back For your webserver, just install apache and use mod_php for that.

Just Joined!

New installation/Dual boot with XP

Thanks for the tip. I really want to do a full install, but my wife also uses the computer and she has not used Linux and I don't know how well she would or could adapt. If you have any other comments or suggestions, let me hear them. I am prolly going to do a full install anyway. Force her to adapt and overcome the gap.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    If my mom can use linux, I am sure you wife can learn. If you like, you can make your x server look just like the windows gui.