Find the answer to your Linux question:
i installed atrpms-kickstart i ran the distro update it checked out all the download sites and i guess it downloads stuff too but then ends sayins can not continue i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

atrpms-kickstart

i installed atrpms-kickstart

i ran the distro update

it checked out all the download sites and i guess it downloads stuff too but then ends sayins can not continue i do not have enough space in /var.

[ i have given 380 something megabytes to /var ]

how much megabytes should i give to /var ?

i will have to reformat my 2nd hard drive again and do a fresh install of redhat 9.0.

for /var can i make it " grow to fill " instead of fixed size mb ?

Linux Guru
    Don't make a seperate partition for /var. Just integrate with your root partition instead.

Linux Newbie
    sorry dolda i am bothering u again

tell me the basic structure of partitions to install redhat 9.0 [keeping in mind after sometime i will work on everything like setting up web server, mail server, ftp server]

i will not be running more than one distro

i have decided to just stick with one distro and learn.

i have around 17 gigabytes to give to redhat 9.0

please just let me know broadly should i just make /, swap, /home or one or more more ?

and what should be the sizes?

if u have more to tell me, then let me install redhat again then i will comeback and get more instructions from u.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You're certainly not bothering anyone. If noone asked questions, then what would be the point of this forum?

However, I did already answer this for you, I believe:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=3820
    Was there anything wrong with that? If there's anything more about it that you're wondering, don't hesitate to ask. I would be disappointed with myself if I gave an insufficient explanation.

Linux Newbie
    so this is the partition i should make rite?

/
    swap
    /home
    /tmp

now how much hard disk should i assign to each of them out of around 17 gigabytes?

Linux Guru
    Bear in mind that /tmp is optional. It will make your system security better, but you have to change it to mount as noexec. Also, I have seen it break some things, so do consider if you really need that kind of security.

I would say, make the swap partition 512 MBs, the root partition 5 GBs, and the /home partition takes the rest, ie. about 12 GBs. If you decide to create a partition for /tmp, make it about 100 MBs or so.