Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so mabey its not always that way, but it is for me. I installed Mandrake 9.0 on my friend's pc and everything worked fine, modem worked, sound played, had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux + Modems * Laptops = Headaches

Ok, so mabey its not always that way, but it is for me. I installed Mandrake 9.0 on my friend's pc and everything worked fine, modem worked, sound played, had fun. Installed Mandrake 9.1 and all was good, until we checked the modem, it failed, the modem seems installed, seems online, but doesn't ping or anything. So he bought a pcmcia modem that says its linux compatible. I cant even start to make it work. I have no clue how to set it up manually, and theres virtually no documentation. So to make a long story (sorry) even longer, I now need some major help, please.

The specs are Compaq Presario 1700 SERIES (1717RSH), Conexant HSF Modem, TRENDnet Fax Modem 56k (TFM-560E).

Any help would really be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    I'd be surprised if it had worked. Those Conexant HSF modems are what they call WinModems; I guess that you can figure from the name what that means...
    There are Linux drivers for it, but they can be a bit tricky to get to work if you're new to this. Check out http://www.linmodems.org/ for more info.

About that PCMCIA modem, does anything at all happen when you plug it in? Does the computer go "beep"? While it's plugged in, what does "cardctl ident" return?