Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have installed linux debian with seperate partitions and several packages. When I ifconfig It sees the ethernet card and all of the related files in etc/ are configured ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Driver Module for ethenet card

Hi

I have installed linux debian with seperate partitions and several packages.

When I ifconfig It sees the ethernet card and all of the related files in etc/ are configured (I think) correctly to connect to the internet but I can't even ping an IP so I don't think anything is getting to the card.

I believe I need to load the driver modules. Please could someone explain the process of adding a driver module and getting it to work each time you boot up.

I have a 3com card, I know the addresses, IP, hardware, interupt etc. I even know which driver I need and know that the card is compatible. Its an ethernet network card and its eth0.

I actualy have two cards in because this will be run as a NAT proxy server running a LAN. I have heard there can be hick ups with two NICs?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Any thoughts?

I'm not sure, but have you tried if you use dhcp (your modem/router sets you ip, and that ip can chang)
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0 up
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.

No I haven't tried this.
    I know I have a dynamic IP assigned by my ISP and I am not too sure about DHCP - doesn't this asign a name aswell as an IP? Not sure if my provider will do this - but I will give it a shot!

Thanks very much!