Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
my laptop did very similar things with an internal cdrom drive. the cdroms are not always configured to act like normal cdroms. my laptop would boot from cd and then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

other kernel options

my laptop did very similar things with an internal cdrom drive. the cdroms are not always configured to act like normal cdroms.

my laptop would boot from cd and then prompt for location and wouldn't find the drive even though i saw it in the black loading stuff screen.

the options i used allowed it to work but i don't really understand how. have you tried the pci=nobios or pci=off options.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    I just tried those two options and it still asks to specify which driver to use for the cdrom (none of which work).
    Is there any other options which could work?

Linux Guru
    It just hit me that Compaq laptops are notorious for not working with Linux, since they use very much proprietary hardware. You could be so unlucky as having a computer that actually cannot work with Linux. Just a thought, though.

Just Joined!
    I found this webpage: http://www.ida.liu.se/~perkr/cpqa4220t.html
    and that guy got redhat 7.3 and debian running on exactly the same model of laptop but i think he must have been using different cdrom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3