Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a Compaq Armada 4220T and am trying to install red hat 7.3 on it. I have an external cd-rom drive which will not even detect the cd. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compaq laptop and Redhat 7.3

I have a Compaq Armada 4220T and am trying to install red hat 7.3 on it. I have an external cd-rom drive which will not even detect the cd.

I have tried the disk on my other computer and it works on that so its not the disk.
    Also i have tried other cd's in the drive and they worked so i dont know what the problem is here.

I did a google for my model laptop and got a page with some info on a successful install of redhat 7.2 on the exact model that i have so im thinking that redhat 7.3 should work on mine too.

The cd-rom has written on the front "Pioneer super32x" and thats about all i can tell about wot it is.

Linux User
    Seems that its not getting detected at Bootup....do other bootable cds work on bootup on it also? like windows cds?

Linux Engineer
    have u tired making a bootabel floppy to load the cd drivers or whatever it needs to run.

u can prob do it from windoze but tis easier from a linux machine. put the correct image from the boot dir of the cd into a floppy. i think there is a bootdisk making prog if u use windoze

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm not sure about windows cd's. I have tried to install mandrake 7.2 aswell and that would not boot straight from the cd either. I had to make a floppy boot disk to get that to detect.
    I did not install mandrake because it appeared that it had no drivers that my cdrom was compatible with.

Hellmasker: The cd-rom won't even detect the cd when i am booted into windows.
    but i could try to make a boot floppy on my other comp (which can detect the cd), except it is not as easy to make one as it is in mandrake.
    Can u explain how i can make one for red hat ?

Linux User

special stuff

have a google around for a specific install guide for your laptop. I found one to help install RH 9 on my Compaq Evo.

I had to pass parameters to the kernel to boot the installer.

Then change them by trial and error to get all my bits working. now running @ about 90%.

But better than nothing.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    To create a bootdisk from Windows, run the "rawrite" program in /dosutils on the CD. Then write /images/boot.img using that program.

Just Joined!
    Ive done a google for it and there's really not a lot there.
    All i found was a document on installing 7.2 on it and that only said that it was fairly easy except for a couple of little problems.

I'll try what Dolda2000 said to do and get back to ya's with what happens.

Edit:
    I made a boot floppy and it works okay. I press enter to begin the graphical installation and it starts and lists about a page full of different stuff and then it gets to
    Partition check:
    hda:

and just hangs there with the blinking cursor right after that.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Linux User

nomce

for my laptop I had to type some options at the boot prompt.

i think it was

linux nomce ide=nodma pci=off

the guide i used is here
    http://tooleweb.homelinux.com/EvoN1015v/
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    I can get it to start installing now but i need a driver disk for my cdrom.
    i type in "linux ide=nodma" at the boot screen and that begins the installation alright.
    But then it gets to the "what type of cdrom do u have" and i have an external pioneer super 32x. it asks if the cdrom is scsi or other. and when i go to other it asks for a driver disk.
    I dont have a driver disk (i got the laptop and cdrom second hand) and ive been googleing for ages but still cant find any that seem like the right ones.
    but i am pretty much a n00b and have probably missed something.

Does anyone know where i can get drivers for it or what i am supposed to do (if i am doing something wrong)?

Linux Guru
    What model is it exactly, and how is it connected to the computer?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast