Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
it might also be related to acpi and or apm try passing the noacpi command to the kernel an boot i had this on my 64bit box it is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

it might also be related to acpi and or apm try passing the noacpi command to the kernel an boot i had this on my 64bit box it is a pain

this working once or twice then failing sounds like an acpi problem

to reinstall grub put in your suse disk (cd) go te the recover system or something like that and reinstall grub

the mepis cd may have this also or you could just boot off the kernel on the hdd via the install section on the suse cd there is the option to boot the hard drive or to boot the kernel an the suse disk then you could manualy reinstall grub

also if this happens again try turning the puter off totaly again once or twice then see if it boots
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    hu? so do i try to reinstall grub with the mepis install cd or what?

put in the suse cd or dvd and go into install mode, then choose "Boot installed system". this will get you onto your installed suse then you can reinstall grub from there
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    i don't have suse, i have mepis. and i have reinstalled grub, twice now. it worked for the first time after each new reinstall and then went back to loading stage 1.5 where it failed. i think i have one of those anti-linux computers, i think i am going to have to give up on linux seeing as i can't access it and windows at the same time. but i want to use linux so i'll keep trying.

Oh well, i'll have to use windows untill i can figure out what is wrong.

Is there anything else i can do?

thx

Could you give us the contets of /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst) /boot/grub/device.map, and /etc/fstab. Also can you give the output to
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    [it's a small L not a 1 one](you'll have to do this as root). Please.

THen can you boot into mepis a second time and to
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    again?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    could it be my hard drive which is the problem. i remember reading somewhere that grub stage 1.5 and stage 2.0 are reading the grub config files (i think). because the windows loader allways works and it is on hda, would i be able to install the grub files to hda instead of hdb. if so do i need to make linux partitions on hda?

when i next go into linux i will try looking and grub.conf (it takes a long time to go into the live cd).

Quote Originally Posted by squimmy
    would i be able to install the grub files to hda instead of hdb. if so do i need to make linux partitions on hda?
    You could make a /boot partition on hda and put your grub.conf files etc in it, but you would have to create a linux partition for this.
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    i have 7.844mb unallocated on hda, would that be enough to turn into a /boot partition. i only want to use the unallocated space so i dont resize and mess up my windows partition.

Yes 7.844mb should be enough for it, since it is ~3000kb more than me suse /boot directory.
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    now for the noobiest question i will ask for a long time (long time = 2 minutes), how do i create a /boot partition. how to a tell it to be a /boot partition, not a /home partition or a /uhawefuilga parititon. or do i just create a normal partition and install grub there, not calling it /boot.

Be kind...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast