Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wondering if somebody can help me to understand how can I install a linux OS from zero step by step. I just want to know the first ones. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mimimum kit for installation

I am wondering if somebody can help me to understand how can I install a linux OS from zero step by step. I just want to know the first ones.

I have a machine with a HDD empty and I want to know what is the minimum package I need for having a prompt.
    To format the disk, to make an active partition, to create a minimum linux system with prompt and to have a navigator like lynx or otehr one for downloading the rest.
    Is it possible to do this from floppies? What is the minimum kit for building up a linux basic system and downloading for internet the maximum part o packages?

Use a Debian minimal install why do a job that has been done its only about 60-70Mb, Or Gentoo, maintaining an LFS system can be a pain.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    to the Original Poster: I've rolled my own distro without LFS or DIY-Linux, and it's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. If you want to know what I did I'll tell you.

Just Joined!
    Hi Lakerdonald,

I started to read all the information for LFS and it seems to be a very attractive adventure, and the most important and interesting thing for me; it seems a very nice way to understand the internal structure of a linux OS.

Off course that I would like to know how you did your own distro. I prefer to see different ways and see wich could be easier according to my skills and knowledge (wich are not very high).

Thanks a lot because you gave me a very good path for developing my little dream.

Linux Enthusiast
    If you were thinking of something a little simpler ( I can't believe I am about to say this ) Gentoo would be a good option, stage 1 and you set everything you want up from the bottom up.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulix
    ...and see wich could be easier according to my skills and knowledge (wich are not very high).
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    ( I can't believe I am about to say this ) Gentoo would be a good option, stage 1 and you set everything you want up from the bottom up.
    Yeah, I can't believe you said it either . For some people, that would be a good formula for burn-out, but at least you put it out there.

While I'm sure LFS will teach the very nuts and bolts of Linux, many people want to have a working system before too long, at least to know what one is supposed to look like when it's finished. Slackware can be pretty fundamental. It can be installed from floppies (at least up through 8.1) and can be installed from the web. After working with an installed system for a while, installation "from scratch", whether Gentoo stage1 (if you have a fast internet connection) or LFS will probably be much more productive and satisfying.

IMHO.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    At the moment I started to read all the information related with LFS and it seems a big and beautiful challenge for me. I have enough material for learning and not disturbing you with more questions during the next two months.

I said Thanks but I want to repeat it again: Thank you very much and greetings for being there and giving help to the new penguins.