Find the answer to your Linux question:
Forgive me if this issue has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, otherwise, here goes. I have a Toshiba 2435 S255 with RH9. I purchased an SMC 2635w and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SMC 2635W & RH9

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, otherwise, here goes.

I have a Toshiba 2435 S255 with RH9. I purchased an SMC 2635w and have been unsuccessfully in getting it to work with. After googleing for answers, I quickly realized how limited documentation is on the 2635w and linux.

I know that it's an ADMtek chipset and I already have the 1.05 drivers. However, I've not been able to get RH to recognize it.

If anyone has any plain english documentation on how they got this to work, it would be greatly appreciated if you could pass it along.

Linux Guru
    What is an SMC 2635, exactly?

Just Joined!

SMC 2625w Wireless PCMCIA & RH9

The SMC 2635w is a wireless pcmcia card that utilizes the ADMtek 8211 chipset.

Linux Guru
    Does "cardctl ident" recognize that the card is plugged in, and what happens if modprobe the driver manually?

Just Joined!
    cardctl ident returns: no product info available
    and depmod -a returns: depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/adm8211.o

However, after much tooling around, and in spite of the errors above, the card is actually working anyway. The power/activity light on the card blinks constantly, but I don't know if that's just an issue with this particular installation environment, or if it's supposed to do that. I haven't tried the card on a windows machine, so I don't know for sure.

Linux Guru
    My 802.11b card blinks constantly as long as it has contact with a network, so it's probably supposed to do that.

Just Joined!

Smile I have a compiled driver

i spent about 2 months getting this to work with the 8211 drivers. It was very unstable but still worked with RH8. i loaded it with a script for startup only problem with it after loading is that it constantly searched through channels even if you were connected to network and used quite a bit of resources. if you would like the compiled driver email me @ firedreign@yahoo.com

Just Joined!
    hello firedreign:
    I just suscribe myself in this forum and saw your post related to the SMC2635W card.
    I have an old IBM ThinkPad T40 and just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and everything is working Ok but the wireless card, it is constantly lossing the signal even in a place close to the Modem/DSL.
    I think it is a drivers problem.
    Could you help me with this issue???
    Thanks in advance.

Negrazo

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome, Negrazo!

This thread is over 8 years old so I'm locking it down, but please feel free to start fresh threads of your own with any Linux issues that you might be having.

Thank you.
    oz